Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ED has only 4,000 miles. I always use the Level 1 charger that came with my ED. When the charger stop charging (all 4 light on), I check https://vh.smart.com to make sure it's 100%, but since last week I've been getting 98%. Do you think it just need a calibration or a new battery? :eek:
Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forget what the app says, what does the SOC meter in the vehicle itself say?
SOC Meter displays 100%, but at 98% the needle is on the same position. When the app used to display 100% full and I drive it for several blocks, the app displays 98%, but the SOC Meter still displays 100%.

Maybe I shouldn't charge the battery until it reaches nearly 0% and do a full charge, to see what happens. Treating it like a laptop or smartphone :laugh:

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you rely on the app for information about your ED, you will be very frustrated and disappointed at times. Go by what the car says, not what the app thinks it says.

The needle is not in the same position at 98% compared to 100%, it is your app that is screwed up...many have experienced it.

·
17,350 Posts
Ditto! I've experienced the same problem in multiple laptops, smartphones, and tablets over the past few years. Check charge, maxed out at 97%-99%.

Reboot device (in your case, a pesky app) and it shows all 100%.

But yep, like trooplewis said, the app is probably wonky. Let the car be the final answer. :)

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Sound like my iPhone, and iPad. Wish they were Hybrids. 2 seconds, after you use them. down to 98% charge.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Over the last 2-3 days I've noticed that when I set the car to the "Charge Now" option directly from the car, vs. using the app that I can only get a 90% or 95% charge according to my SOC meter with a full 8+hrs of time connected to my Clipper Creek level-2 charge station. I have the charge curr setting set to Max, and by the next morning all I get is a 90-95% charge. For some reason it's either stopping the charge prematurely or it's having some sort of fault/heat related issue. I've also noticed that it takes considerably longer to charge with the OEM level 1 charger set to Max current with 4 LEDs. I also am lucky to get above 95% SOC at the end of my work day with it connected for at least 7 hours on an initial SOC of 55-60% when I plug-in in the morning. I have only 2050 miles on the odometer.

I'm hoping it's just a weather/temperature related issue that's causing the SOC calibration issue. Local temps have been 89-95F for Highs and 70-73F for Lows.

I charge daily and sometimes multiple times per day if the SOC goes below 80%. I use my Level-2 charge station when parked at home and my work allows me to plug-in my OEM Level-1 charge adapter during work hours. My SOC rarely goes below 50% during the work week and rarely goes below 20% during the weekends.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've also noticed that it takes considerably longer to charge with the OEM level 1 charger set to Max current with 4 LEDs.
That part is normal. It should take about 2.5 times as long as with the level 2 (12A 120V v. 16A 240V).

Don't know why it stops in the mid 90's...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am aware that a level 1 charge adapter will take much longer than a level 2 charge station... What I am trying to explain is that the OEM level 1 charge adapter is taking considerably longer than it use to take (with the same charge adapter) to charge the battery... i.e., it would be 100% charged from a ~60% SOC at 7:00am (initial plug-in) by about 12:30pm.

At this moment, it is taking all day from initial plug-in at 7:00am until 3:45pm (when I leave work) to get a full charge (at whatever % the on-board charger decides to stop charging... 90% or 95% as of lately, or if I'm lucky 100% SOC).

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you cannot get a full 100% (even from 0) with the CC level 2 charger in an 8+ hr period then there is something wrong with either the car or the charger. I would get it checked out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks like the SOC upon a full level-1 charge at work today has been recalibrated to read 100%. It has reached 100% after charging from 7:00am until 3:15pm with a 1 hour unplugged period during my lunch break.

My local temps were between 70-87F today, so I'm beginning to think that the vh.smart.com app is altering my charge settings by simply logging into it to monitor the car's charge status. I've noticed inconsistencies where I have the in-car settings manually set to "Charge Now" (just before plugging the car in for the night) and the vh.smart.com app is still set to whatever my previous setting was at... say Departure time of 3:45pm so it's left trickle charging at a slow rate all night and by morning it's only at 90-95% instead of 100%. My guess is that the app is somehow overriding the in-car settings without my approval/authorization.

I guess the best thing to do is only use the in-car settings and avoid using the app unless it's an emergency. I just wish they'd make the app more useful and accurate/consistent. Seems like such a waste of a "Smart" feature.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Upon further testing/troubleshooting, I've now narrowed down what I believe to be the reason for the SOC to read lower than 100% after a full charge.

I'm fairly certain that the ability of the charging system to provide a full 100% SOC after a full charge depends on a combination of factors... the atmospheric (temperature) conditions, the charge rate (KWhr), and the charge mode (either "Charge Now" or "Charge and Depart").

If the ambient temperature is above 80-85F when charging is when I've noticed that this problem may occur. The onboard charging system relies heavily on the coolant system to keep the battery temperature within acceptable limits. When the ambient temps are already higher, this places increased strain on the battery/charging system.

If the battery is charging at a Level 2 max charge rate of 3.3KWhr when the car is set to the "Charge Now" mode, it will charge the battery to as close to 100% as it can get as long as the battery temperature doesn't exceed the mfc temperature limitations (in my experience the SOC will reach between 90 and 95% after a full charge). If the battery temperature exceeds the limitations, the charging system will shut down, and will not restart until the next recharge period (unplug & then plug-in the charge adapter... note, this is not recommended if the SOC is above 80% due to unnecessary strain on the battery).

If the battery is charging at a Level 2 max charge rate of 3.3KWhr when the car is set to the "Charge and Depart at a specific time" mode, it is more likely to charge the battery to 100% (again as long as the battery temperature doesn't exceed the mfc temperature limitations). With my experience, when the ambient temperature is higher than 89F degrees, the car will still reach a full 100% SOC after the charging cycle has completed. The "Charge and Depart at a specific time" mode allows the charging system to charge at a slower rate over a longer period of time. This in turn reduces the heat & strain on the battery allowing for it to reach a 100% SOC vs. using the "Charge Now" mode that is more likely to overheat the battery and prematurely stop the charging system.

The battery temperature limitations apply to every type of charge adapter or charge station... the charge rate is more than likely the culprit for increasing the battery temperature beyond the limitations (most likely when ambient atmospheric temperature is high to begin with). This is why the OEM Level 1 charge adapter is more likely to provide a 100% SOC after a full charge vs. a Level 2. This applies to both charging modes ("Charge Now" and "Charge and Depart at a specific time"). However, the "Charge and Depart at a specific time" mode places less heat & strain on the battery and is most likely to provide a 100% SOC as long as the set Time of Departure provides enough time for the charging system to provide a full charge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts