Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey scoa members, I'm interested in finding a company state side that tunes 450s, mine is a 1999 599cc city coupe turbo, located in north central Florida and am willing to drive to have it tuned.

Any info would be appreciated!!

Thanks, tom

·
Registered
495 Posts
as an OWNER of a 450 series Smart (which yours is, but an earlier version) I can tell you this, leave it be.. its supposed to be a CITY CAR, and URBAN transport, thats it.. not a racer, not high performance go fast off the line... besides if you dont already know I will clue you in...
its basically an orphan even in the Smart car circle. Parts for the early Smarts (pre 08) are tough to get, and expensive .. if you break something major in this 600cc engine, I can say from experience ,and I have the 700cc version ..its easier to get parts for my 56 ISETTA then parts for a 700 Smart let alone a 600 version. Even Smart and Mercedes Benz dealers youll find out, wont touch it, wont help you get parts or service it.. you are on your own.. welcome to the club. That being said , if you dont know much about the car , buddy up to me and the other 450 owners , and learn as much as you can. If you have questions feel free to email me directly.. steve [email protected]
steveg 05 450 cabrio, S.Mann

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Steve g!

What would you say the weak point of the motors are? Rod bolt, rods, poor casted pistons? Id be very interested In knowing the faults and weaknesses of the motor/ trans before I start beating on it....

I'm mechanically inclined and any advise to fix any motor/ trans issues in advance would be appreciated!

I ordered a pan with a drain plug already, I pulled mine and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but better safe then sorry...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts