Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm at work and it's been a pretty wet night with rain and melting snow. For the last 5 hours or so the A/C compressor had been endlessly engaging and disengaging and it's driving me nuts!!! Or at least I think that's what it is. I can't think of anything else it could be. Is it suppose to do that? Anyone have a suggestion? I'm gonna look for fuse when I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If the selector is in the defrost position (12 o'clock), the compressor will be on. If it cycles on & off, it may be low on refrigerant.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Even with a full charge, the compressor will cycle in cooler temps. Normal operation. You need to supply more info.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Slide your thermostat up and down about 5-6 times. ( Forgot the real reason why) Sometimes it can get confused.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's gonna get confused when it finds it's self disconnected and in the garbage lol. I don't even need it here. Besides I find A/C in the car plugs my sinuses. I used the A/C maybe 10 times in the 5 years I had my Honda and tossed my A/C on the floor of the garage to make more room for intercooler pipping on my nissan. Well worth the loss :)
I tried the up and down with the temp, didn't work. I did turn the dial off defrost and that stopped it. I'll have to get it checked. It is noticeably loud.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If the selector is in the defrost position (12 o'clock), the compressor will be on. If it cycles on & off, it may be low on refrigerant.
I think this depends on the model year. We have an '08 and an '09, and they behave differently from each other with respect to whether the compressor kicks in with the control at the 12:00 position.

Don't ask me which does which, I can never remember :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
Wow..changes in latitudes mean changes in attitudes. Jimmy Buffet was right.
As it says in the NC state song (yes there is one) "Here's to the land of the Longleaf pine, a summer land where the sun doth shine."
And boy they ain't kiddin'. I know we've all gotten soft and "need" air conditioning, but the smart is a small space enclosed by a lot of transparent surfaces.
A human being (one) can melt a 60lb block of ice in a day by body heat alone.
We gotta have's the air down in here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts