Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I will start this thread by telling you that last week the cooling fan on my 2009 Passion started making the dreaded grinding noise. Since this was replaced 4 years ago I knew what it was. Instead of paying for the repair I used jimvw57 solution of putting a pusher fan on the outside of the radiator. Things were working well but now the A/C will not turn on. I have pulled every fuse out and checked it and they are all good. I then ran a hot line to the fan and it kicked on so I know the fan is good. So apparently there is no signal being sent to the fan to turn on. I'm assuming the A/C compressor is not turning on. What do I look for now? Is there a sensor somewhere. I was looking on Evilution and they talked about a cabin temp sensor (I think that was what they called it) that if it goes bad it will act just like low refrigerant They said it could probably be tricked so it could be used until a part arrives (If that is the part I need) by using a 2K ohm resistor instead of the sensor. I'll try that if I can find one.
I was going to try adding gas to the system but since the compressor will not turn on I don't know what to do. I have the gas and I can reach the fill port but no running compressor. What next?

Brad

·
Registered
136 Posts
Your compresser won't run because you low on coolant. Try to put some coolant in. Put your ac on full and hook up can of coolant. You should hear your compresser kick in when adding your coolant. This is what I did when my ac quit working a couple of years ago. Has been working great since

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your compressor won't run because you low on coolant. Try to put some coolant in. Put your ac on full and hook up can of coolant. You should hear your compresser kick in when adding your coolant. This is what I did when my ac quit working a couple of years ago. Has been working great since

The compressor will not kick on. Can I still add coolant without the compressor running?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coolant goes in the radiator.

Refrigerant goes in the AC system.

SR

I really did know that but I misspoke Sorry. But the question still stands. How can refrigerant be added to the system if the A/C compressor won't start?

Brad

·
Registered
178 Posts
R134 can pressure is high enough when added into the low pressure port to activate the pressure switch and then turn on the compressor.

Connect the can, start the car with A/C on high, open the can and watch the pressure gage when charging.

SR

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
R134 can pressure is high enough when added into the low pressure port to activate the pressure switch and then turn on the compressor.

Connect the can, start the car with A/C on high, open the can and watch the pressure gage when charging.

SR

Thank you. I did not know I could do that. I'll try that tomorrow.

Brad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts