Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to install the A/C system from a salvage car into a 2013 PURE that doesn't have A/C
and if so where can I find diagrams of the system or any information that will help
Would the system need to be from a car of Generation II W451 ? Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
I was told when I first got my 2008 that the 2 things they couldn't add afterwards were air and alarm system. You would probably have quite a project adding AC, but I wouldn't say it can't be done. just may take a lot of time and $$$.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Sure. Easy. You only need to remove the dash and replace the entire hvac housing with the heater core and evaporator, the wiring harness, the hvac control unit, possibly some duct work. Remove the front bodywork and install a condenser in front of the radiator along with wiring and a/c lines to the evaporator housing in the car. Then you remove the underside panels and install the a/c compressor on the engine and run the a/c lines to the hvac housing in the car and the condenser as well as any additional wiring from the hvac control to the compressor. Then evacuate and recharge the system and hope it works. By the time you do all that it will be winter again and you won't need air conditioning, so my advice is just forget it.

Possible, yes. Practical, no. The money you spend trying to add a/c is far, far greater than any saved by not buying a car with a/c already installed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts