Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Thinking of taking the plunge for an electric. My question is this... What is the procedure to pre-warm the car while on the charger? Can it be done remotely or with a timer? Let's discuss both the 120 and 240 chargers. Thank you very much. Looking forward to the responses.?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Hello all. Thinking of taking the plunge for an electric. My question is this... What is the procedure to pre-warm the car while on the charger? Can it be done remotely or with a timer? Let's discuss both the 120 and 240 chargers. Thank you very much. Looking forward to the responses.?
Remotely via the smart EV vehicle homepage and also with the timer on the homepage as well. But your battery needs to be over 85% SOC, and/or actively being charged.

·
Registered
456 Posts
What is the procedure to pre-warm the car while on the charger? Can it be done remotely or with a timer? Let's discuss both the 120 and 240 chargers.
I personally use the "Charge and Depart" feature on the multi-function console. Just set a time-of-day when you plan to leave and make sure that "AC" is on. Note that "AC" is literally air conditioning (hot or cold) so the cabin will either be heated or cooled as necessary if "AC" is on. Quirk of translation from German...

You can use the vehicle webpage to start the prewarming (or cooling), but it seldom works for me. I've given up on it.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
Apple/Android M-B webpage = https://app.secure.smart.com

AWESOME Android ONLY app = EvAccess on Google Play

BOTH require a VVC number as issued by M-B to the owner. Note, this is billed as a FREE 3 year (from new) program with no downstream definition of year 4 cost or does it just end?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the info. Have to make a decision by March. Turning in the VW TDI then.

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
Pre warming sounds nice but I don't know if having to go to a website and play games is worth it. However driving the ED is sooooo worth it. I love my gas smart but driving in town is so much more fun in the ED. It is so smooth, quiet, and quick that I have actually just got in it to drive on a lark...nowhere to go...nothing to see...just drive around town without a plan. I turn off the radio to listen to the eerie silence. It's so just like when I was 16 but without the zits. Go drive one...you'll like it...and yes...even Mikey likes it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Pre warming sounds nice but I don't know if having to go to a website and play games is worth it.

I turn off the radio to listen to the eerie silence. It's so just like when I was 16 but without the zits.
True - Pre-conditioning through the webpage/app isn't real intuitive, perhaps something was lost in the Euro to N.A. translation?

Then too, it only works if you can get one of those tightly held M-B USA VVC numbers, if the Free program continues AND if the "no-priority" server in Germany is plugged into the wall? Wait, can you say "M-B" and "Free" in a sentence with 3 ifs? :shrug:

Good to see that ED has assumed the Pole Position in your garage. :burnout:

How kewl is that, ED has cured your "zits" - talk about TMI! Nothing quite like the smell of Clearasil in the morning . . .

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Those aimless drives to nowhere in an ED - who knew that you had your own plug-n-play therapy machine?

Our favorite ED feature - that simply awesome roller coaster like electromagnetic propulsion when you LAUNCH (kick-down) from a stop!

Dunno why but that quiet thrust pinning me against the seatback always makes me want to put my hands in the air and enjoy the ride!

And battery pack recharge - much cheaper than a therapy session . . .

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
The prime purpose of the ED in our family is to keep the miles off the gas Bee. True that the ecological attributes are important but didn't weigh as much in the decision to buy the ED.

The fact that it could also fit under the truck was important but the medicinal ability to cure acne didn't really weigh in our decision as I was only using that line for the humor and was not actually plagued by that curse. It is in the pole position in the winter for sure but when the weather calls for top down driving the gas Bee will take that position more often.

One of the first things said at a day at the track is always: I love the smell of brake dust so early in the morning!

ps...the emoji showing the driver shifting and laying rubber is so wrong on both accounts in the ED. :rolleyes: No shifting possible and the torque is perfectly matched to the grip that "laying a patch" isn't going to happen. :) :) I find the ED with it's little engine offers amazing acceleration because of that torque and grip making it more fun to drive...and an inexpensive source of therapy.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Pre warming sounds nice but I don't know if having to go to a website and play games is worth it.
To be clear for the OP: Pre-warming does not have to be configured via the clunky vehicle webpage. One can do that from the multi-function control on the instrument cluster. It's called "Charge and Depart". I use Charge and Depart pretty much every day. It's nice to come out to a warm or cool car every morning. This is an example of a feature on an EV that I've never seen on an ICE car. I have seen remote starters and engine block heaters, but they're not the same thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts