Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I made a turn and came to stop sign in a short distance when it happened. When I hit the brakes my car, it didn't stop fully, moved a tiny bit forward and made this heavy grinding/noise. Scared me when it happened. I had experienced this noise couple times before when I hit the brakes in the snow. I know you feel it when the car shifts speeds so maybe related to this. Is this something I need to look into?

I have a 2015 pure

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Today I made a turn and came to stop sign in a short distance when it happened. When I hit the brakes my car, it didn't stop fully, moved a tiny bit forward and made this heavy grinding/noise. Scared me when it happened. I had experienced this noise couple times before when I hit the brakes in the snow. I know you feel it when the car shifts speeds so maybe related to this. Is this something I need to look into?

I have a 2015 pure
Get your brakes checked asap!

·
Super Moderator
1,294 Posts
It also could be that the rotors are rusted from sitting after being out in the rain. It doesn't take long for rust to form. If that's the case, then a bit of driving and using the brakes will clean them right up. Happened to me a few weeks ago.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 19,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 13,500 miles

·
Premium Member
7,611 Posts
It also could be that the rotors are rusted from sitting after being out in the rain. It doesn't take long for rust to form.
How many miles on your MY15 pure?

They can rust to the point that they lock up such that you would think the E-brake is stuck. Apply more pressure on the accelerator and the car will "launch" as it breaks the rust lock.

Ask me how I know - MY09 B'bus required that treatment Sunday in a rather precarious parking situation. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
1,294 Posts
If it was my car, I sure wouldn't just throw new pads and rotors at it unless you are at or near the minimum specs. I assume it's 2 mm for pads like all Mercedes are. Rotors I'd have to look up. Rusty rotors are going to happen in wet weather whether they are brand new or older. Just need the pads to "sand" the rust off.

Len

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
...Squeal noise after rain and sitting overnight comes from the drums not the disks....
....try it..if you see surface flash rust on your disks drive the car and the stop by using the hand brake only...the squeal noise is deafening...after a few pulls no more squeal...now hit the pedal and the pads will stop the car with no noise...
...now... the OP is talking about heavy grinding/noise and feeling it when shifting gears....if you can feel it and hear grinding it comes from the absence of pad material ...

Jetfuel...next..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got it from carvana a year ago at 10000 miles. Only put 5000 on it so far so I'm surprised that this came up after 15000.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My front brakes were shot at 22,000 miles...

But my Smart had been spending it's life in the streets of Manhattan.
Stop & Go driving at it's very worst! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
1,294 Posts
I got it from carvana a year ago at 10000 miles. Only put 5000 on it so far so I'm surprised that this came up after 15000.
I'd really be surprised if you needed new brakes at this time.

Len

·
Super Moderator
1,294 Posts
Curious Bob about both pads and rotors at such a low mileage. Were they measured to see if they were within spec or were the rotors just replaced for the heck of it? Usually rotors last for at least two sets of pads on most Mercedes anyway.

Len

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've got a shop that is kind of famous for replacing anything that they can get away with. They never turn down a rotor, and I'm almost surprised that they left the lines alone...
But since it's a new vehicle to me: I'm kind of okay with them doing it... THIS time!

The pads did look like something that the dog had been chewing on...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am at 39K on 2014 Passion and purchased from Carvana with 29970 miles 3 years ago. I drive around town and tow behind RV(~25K miles). Brakes are not making any sound for replacement. Will wait for brake rotor light to change.

MLogan
2014 Passion
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
374 Posts
Are you towing it "four-down", or on a trailer?
What are you towing it with?

(Ours is going on a trailer behind our Tiffin Wayfarer.)

·
Super Moderator
1,294 Posts
I am at 39K on 2014 Passion and purchased from Carvana with 29970 miles 3 years ago. I drive around town and tow behind RV(~25K miles). Brakes are not making any sound for replacement. Will wait for brake rotor light to change.

MLogan
2014 Passion
Smyrna, TN
There isn't a brake rotor warning light, but there is a brake pad/fluid warning light. Not sure how many wheels have the sensor warning light- my guess is both fronts, but a quick search of the owners manual didn't verify that for me.

Len

·
Registered
56 Posts
I tow 4 down but without a brake controller. I have installed an emergency breakaway system that meets requirements for towing. Any vehicle less than 2K pounds is not required to have a brake controller. To avoid wiring problems, I use an external light bar plugged into the 4 prong wiring.

MLogan
2017 Trends
2014 Passion
Smyrna, TN

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts