Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with what most are saying. Try and do a quick visual inspection on the brakes to see if it's anything obvious. If not then off the wheels come for a more thorough inspection. Need to see those inner pads to make sure they are all wearing evenly!

15,000 miles is typically low to need pads/rotors but I've been known to go through pads rather quickly with my lead foot!

Just make sure you're safe!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can I take my 2008 Smart to Sears to get the brakes fixed?

(sorry in advance, not sure how to post on here really.)

I don't want to spend $600-$700 to get the brakes fixed at Mercedes or another place that they quoted me $600 (they need it)-

My question is: Would it be cheaper to go to Sears or some chain, and do you think it's ok if I take it there?

Any other advice on where I should take it?

I live in the DC area...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Find a local shop that will have a much lower shop rate Big box shops usually cost more for the same work. 15K on a set of brakes is pretty early for them to be worn out. If they are worn out, I would check the mounting for rust or corrosion, and the calipers as they might not be releasing enough causing the wear.

It is common for the rotors to ge a "flash rust' overnight (and longer) when not used which will cause a squeal for the first few stops, but not a grinding noise.Without seeing them It is hard to say exactly what the problem is.

·
Super Moderator
29,203 Posts
+1. We just had the pads and rotors on our 2011 replaced at 70K miles by a local shop. Probably could have waited a little longer but decided not to. :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Replacing the front disc rotors and pads is actually very easy. Rockauto sells the powerstop kit with drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads for like 100 American pesos. And as I said it's a very easy job that requires minimal tools, very little time and can be done on the street. I think the hardest part would be finding a place to bed the brakes in lol
(sorry in advance, not sure how to post on here really.)

I don't want to spend $600-$700 to get the brakes fixed at Mercedes or another place that they quoted me $600 (they need it)-

My question is: Would it be cheaper to go to Sears or some chain, and do you think it's ok if I take it there?

I live in the DC area...

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I JUST replaced the rotors and pads on my 2 week old Smart 2009 cabrio. It was extremely easy if you are okay with doing your own work. I purchased a set of powerstop rotors/pads for about $110 shipped from amazon in about 3 days. There are various youtube videos on it if you want to review what you will do before you get them in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
15k is low miles for needing brakes.I'm not saying impossible but could it be the ABS (antilock brake system) just kicking in. Is this happening all the time or just sometimes? I went back and reread your original post about happening in the snow. I'll bet it is the ABS system kicking in when the tires slip. This is normal. It is a little scary and feels funny when it happens but this keeps the car from skidding out of control. If you really need brakes it would be happening all the time.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,910 Posts

I live in the DC area...
Find yourself a neighborhood mechanic whose specialty is EURO vehicles and you should be fine. If you want to go with a branded business (look for on-line coupons before you go) probably Meineke or Midas?

Sears, probably don't want to opt in to their Lifetime Warranty as they are on life support . . .

Oh, and everything is expensive "Inside the Beltway."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
15k is low miles for needing brakes.I'm not saying impossible but could it be the ABS (antilock brake system) just kicking in. Is this happening all the time or just sometimes? I went back and reread your original post about happening in the snow. I'll bet it is the ABS system kicking in when the tires slip. This is normal. It is a little scary and feels funny when it happens but this keeps the car from skidding out of control. If you really need brakes it would be happening all the time.

I got a total inspection today and I was told everything is in near new condition. I think you are right about the abs thing. It just surprising since it happened in smooth dry pavement.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got a total inspection today and I was told everything is in near new condition. I think you are right about the abs thing. It just surprising since it happened in smooth dry pavement.
When it kicks in it will have a strange loud noise and the brake pedal will feel hard and feel like it's pushing back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
All..I just replaced the front left rotor and brake pads over the weekend (my 2016 ED has only 30K miles on it). The outer pad was completely gone, while about 75% of the inner pad was remaining. The outer part of the old rotor is scraped up like crazy.

On the front right, both brake pads look great, along with the rotor.

It appears that something is preventing the outer brake pad of the front left brake to not completely release and is dragging on the rotor at all times. Even with the brand new ceramic pads and rotor, I can hear the scraping as I drove around the neighborhood to test out the new pad/rotor installation.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Some YouTube searches have suggested things like thoroughly cleaning the brake caliper and applying some sort of lubricant to the caliper grooves, adding grease inside the dust cover for the caliper pins, repeatedly forcing in the caliper piston and applying the brakes to force it back out...Repeating this cycle. I may try these things during the week, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts