Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings All

Well, he we are with our own “Grey Market” topic, and I think this may be a nice place for we unique few here in the US to share details about our cars.

Because we are in a minority (I don’t know how many cars G&K has converted) this may be a great place to share details about our unique version of this car.

I have seen a few of the other grey owners comment on this site and over on the EU threads and even though our cars are more compatible to the EU threads, our cars were converted here in the US and there is not a pool of info to support these specific cars. I am hoping this topic may fill that need.

Let me introduce my self my name is Brent and I live in New Hampshire, I bought a Blue body Silver “T” from a (Good) Zap Dealer here in NH, it has 3,800 miles on it, I will be picking it up on Tuesday the latest.

I’ll start out with 2 questions, Does anyone else live in a snowy state, if so how does this car handle the snow and did you have to change the tires. Filters where do you get them from?

Looking forward to a wealth of info

ASM

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Winter traction with the Smart

ASmartman...
I asked that question of an owner from the ClubSmart of Canada in Cooperstown last weekend and his reply was it has GREAT traction with snow tires or a good grade all season tire like Nokian HAKA's, if they even make the size needed----not sure about that yet. That is probably what I will get when I get my Smart next Winter. I may even get an extra set of wheels and go full studs all around (Nokian Hakapallitta with studs) just for that extra margin of safety for Winter driving. Changing out the set of wheels/tires in the Fall and Spring was a ritual when I had a rear wheel drive car with front engine. The rear drive rear engine Smart SHOULD offer excellent Winter traction but I would suggest front studs as well to counteract the tendency for the Smart to want to "snowplow" when turning. Maybe one of the Smart owners could comment on that further if they would.
LeSmatte, the organizer of the Canadian Club and a very fine gentleman, can provide more detail for you I am sure. If you do a post search for Cooperstown, you will find his post for the clubs motorcade to Cooperstown last weekend from Montreal.
Hope that helps. BTW...they are a fine group of people! Met most of them on Saturday and had a blast traveling with them.....all I lacked was my own Smart car......:((!!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I took delivery

Hey All

As the NEWEST Grey Marker Smart owner(Today), WOW am I proud:D

Oddly enough as we took ownership, there was another Grey owner there ( wanting cruse control), their first comment was there will be LOTS of questions and all will start out buy asking "Is that Electric" and I thought WOW how could this be confused with an Electric car (motor running).

Well I was SHOCKED as the wife and I sat a traffic light and a BIG guy in the truck next to us said (out his window) "Is that electric", I laughed and said "NO" it is a Grey market Mercedes Benz's

Then the light changed and we went on our way, I was really surprised that the seasoned Grey owner knew what the first question would be:eek:

Anyways, it now has it's new home (and after a pause) I realize I can NOT upload any photos to this thread, so I will end here, upload photos to Put-file, then edit this post.

Hang around Hee Hee Hee

ASM

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6148541 http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6148540
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6148539 http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6148536
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6148536 http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6148534

OOHH an the answer to "That question" is Goof off works GREAT and doesn't affect the glass, or it's coating (if you don't know the question, then you will not understant the answer) Hee Hee Hee

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a mater of fact

SC

Yes 1 in the same, AFM was a handle I've used since the early 90's online, I've grown older and wiser (Yea right) and for this forum I figured ASM would be more appropriate :D

ASM (formally AFM)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2005 FourTwo Passion Cabrio up in the Great Northwest - Portland, OR area.

Not only is it grey amrket but rag top to boot!

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
I have a 2005 FourTwo Passion Cabrio up in the Great Northwest - Portland, OR area.

Not only is it grey amrket but rag top to boot!
Welcome to the club. the more 450 owners the better.
I have a 2006 Cpe.

PM me anytime

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi im john i to have a gray smart metalic blue with silver T i have 14000mil on it and i love it. as far as the snow i live in ill close to rockford and we just had 18in of snow and no i did not make it to work but who did?. as long as its no more than 3in mine dose fine. the tracktion control works grate for not slideing of the road but i fownd that when the tires start to slip no mater how much you push the gas it will not turn the tires any more.

·
Registered
364 Posts
ASmartMan,
Did you get your car ( zap Dealer ) in Exeter at McFarland Ford? I saw they had them for sale a year or so ago, I asked about them and they were so highly priced that I never persue the desire to get one...

I live in newmarket - I should get my 2008 in the next few weeks, would be nice to have a meet one day :) enjoy your new vehicle!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep

Amethyste

Yep, that is where I got it McFarland Ford.

I still like my Smart:D and is just about to hit the 10K mile mark, I guess you must be getting your Smart from Herb Chambers in Lynn.

Sure a meet up can be done, when you get yours we can do some side by side comparisons and pictures.

Let me know when you get it:p

ASM

·
Registered
364 Posts
ASM,
I'd love to meet you and your wife :) Yes, you are correct! I am getting mine for the Lynnfield Dealer in MA. They have been more than pleasant to me. I called them often to chit-chat and told them I would like an orphan if one was let go. Last week, I have been given a white carbrio with red interior! Anne-Marie and Patricia are so pleasant. They said I should get it anytime before the end of February. I am just not sure when the next shipments are due to arrive. I am so impatient :):):)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I thought I would take a few moments to add myself to this list of grey market owners.

I have a 2004 blue/silver cabrio. I have actually had it for about 8 months however only recently started looking through this site.

Without a doubt the 450 is the smart for me. I absolutely love it and am enjoying all the modifications that one can do to it. I have never been interested in tuning any of my cars but this one is addicting. I have added so much to it including paddle shift, OEM cruise, smann body kit, red dot brakes and brabus suspension and exhaut. In addition I have a set of 16" spikelines and a set of 17" lorinser's along with a full set of phat red panels.

Currently I am working on my most adventerous mod yet - 100+ bhp! My ECU is over in Great Britian getting a custom remap by the guys at Red Dot Racing based on every modification made to my engine. In addition, I will be receiving a roadster turbo, janspeed stealth exhaust and venom induction kit. I absolutely can not wait to get this car back on the road and feel the difference. I would highly recommend the guys at Smartarse Design. They are amazing!

Anyways - absolutely love the 450 and have no regrets!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I thought I would take a few moments to add myself to this list of grey market owners.

I have a 2004 blue/silver cabrio. I have actually had it for about 8 months however only recently started looking through this site.

Without a doubt the 450 is the smart for me. I absolutely love it and am enjoying all the modifications that one can do to it. I have never been interested in tuning any of my cars but this one is addicting. I have added so much to it including paddle shift, OEM cruise, smann body kit, red dot brakes and brabus suspension and exhaut. In addition I have a set of 16" spikelines and a set of 17" lorinser's along with a full set of phat red panels.

Currently I am working on my most adventerous mod yet - 100+ bhp! My ECU is over in Great Britian getting a custom remap by the guys at Red Dot Racing based on every modification made to my engine. In addition, I will be receiving a roadster turbo, janspeed stealth exhaust and venom induction kit. I absolutely can not wait to get this car back on the road and feel the difference. I would highly recommend the guys at Smartarse Design. They are amazing!

Anyways - absolutely love the 450 and have no regrets!
Hi micromachine, great to hear about your 450. I have an '06 metallic grey/black passion coupe. Love it as well. Question: where are you getting your mod stuff, particularly shifters and cruise control? Your smart sounds awesome! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My paddle shift wheel came from the Richmond, BC smart dealership. The cruise came from smartpartsdirect. I installed both using the directions on the evilution.co.uk website (the absolute best source for info detailed how-to's available in my opinion). I took the car up to Eddy at Flying Tiger Development in Richmond for the TAN codes and activation. He also ordered an installed my Brabus suspension. I would definitely recommend him.

I admit that I do scan ebay.co.uk frequently for stuff available along with the other smart forums. I actually found my spikelines on ebay.com. My lorinser's came from a guy on clubsmartcar.com. Over the last few months all of my stuff comes from Smartarse. Mike is the guy I speak with regularly from Smartarse and he is extremely helpful in helping me get to where I want the car to be. If your interested in tuning the car properly then contact Mike and tell him Todd says hello.

Another good source for s-mann pieces is straight from s-mann. They will ship to the US and you can't find the items cheaper elsewhere. They are putting together an oil cooler for me at this moment.

Another couple of good sources for bits in North America is smartieparts.com. and parts4smarts.

I am sure there are others I can't think of. Without a doubt though stay away from Smarts R Us in the UK. Absolutly, without a doubt, horrible customer service. Your lucky if you can even get in contact with someone after an order is placed. Stay away!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome

micromachine

Welcome to the FUN:woohoo::woohoo:

I too have had great luck with Eddie and give him a big thumbs up.

NICE mods:D:D

ASM

·
Registered
13 Posts
I too am a grey market owner and I'm loving it. We got it 3 months ago. It's a 2005 Bright Pink/silver coupe. Leather with pods and wide tire package. We Lowered it 30mm and added Digi-Tec exhuste. As of right now we changed the front bumper and rear bumper to black. We have a 451 red/black w/red interior cabrio :smartje.rd.zw: we just bought off ebay a few weeks ago but we are having transport issues and are unable to have it delivered :( as soon as the 451 comes it will be back to Pink. At least we have a smart to drive so it's not that bad.....

·
Registered
522 Posts
Micromachine, Were you at the smart car roadshow last August, at Southcenter Acura, Seattle? Is your smartie license plate, "smartie"? There was a 450 blue/silver smartie there which had had its suspension reworked recently.

What did Eddy charge for the TAN code/activation? Thanks for the information.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts