Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Oh, the never ending controversy about gasoline cars vs. 0 emissions cars.

Incredible! the people against green cars believe that electric cars pollute more than gasoline cars just by the making and disposing of their batteries!

·
17,360 Posts
EDITED: Because my point was misinterpreted as a jab at EV production...

Well (and I'm not disagreeing with you here)...I mean it depends on the battery manufacturer, the type of battery, type of battery disposal, mining, and the car you're comparing it to. Every EV is not created equal. :(

It'll be very hard to argue that the average run of the mill EV (ones that aren't built to impossible standards, like the Coda, or Wheego) is greener than the smart CDI, which at some point, had the lowest emissions of any production non-EV on the planet. It had even lower emissions than a PRIUS!

A cow farting on a daily basis gives out more emissions than a smart CDI. :D
Of course, power players like Tesla, Mercedes, Toyota and such are building their vehicles to the highest of environmental standards, so no argument there. :)

Gotta tread lightly on these EV topics I guess...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well (and I'm not disagreeing with you here)...I mean it depends on the battery manufacturer, the type of battery, type of battery disposal, mining, and the car you're comparing it to. Every EV is NOT created equal. :(

It'll be very hard to argue that the average EV (maybe even a Leaf or smart ED :eek:) is greener than the smart CDI, which at some point, had the lowest emissions of any production non-EV on the planet. It had even lower emissions than a PRIUS!

A cow farting on a daily basis gives out more emissions than a smart CDI. :D
This is the thing though, if in fact, the manufacturing of the EV and the disposing of the batteries pollutes iqual or more than an ICE car then what the fackk are we doing? Why going thru the limitations of an EV thinking that we are doing good or benefiting when in fact we are doing worse?

They make really good points to think about.

1-) Why the batteries are so expensive? Some say that in great part is because it cost lots of money to dispose them after they have been used.

2-) Why Toyota, Honda and other big manufacturers are going with the Hydrogen car in stead of the EV? Simply because it is the future, it's very similar to the ICE infrastructure that people are already used to, etc.

There are many things that we really don't know.:(

·
Registered
832 Posts
if in fact, the manufacturing of the EV and the disposing of the batteries pollutes iqual or more than an ICE car then what the fackk are we doing?
Neo is just repeating again the incorrect, but all to often repeated myth that battery manufacturing is supposedly producing all this immense pollution. It's just not true.

·
17,360 Posts
Neo is just repeating again the incorrect, but all to often repeated myth that battery manufacturing is supposedly producing all this immense pollution. It's just not true.
Now now, don't get all defensive. Re-read what I said. I'm not disagreeing with *either* of you.

Not ALL EVs are created equal. Most really well engineered EVs (Tesla, smart, Nissan, etc) are engineered to the highest level of environmental standards and cannot be beaten by anything running almost any kind of fuel.

While some others (EVs emerging out of China, India, and lower budget companies, etc) are still using a very dirty process to build their cars.

And that some clean burning diesels, like the latest smart CDI, produce less emissions than even the world's most popular hybrids.

That's all I'm trying to say. I'm not disagreeing, just pointing out that not every EV is the same. No need to go red alert and destroy a perfectly good thread like so many iOS v. Android Internet deathmatches...

P.S. Unless I'm missing something, the original Insight didn't get 70-90 MPG, which is what the current smart cdi achieves.

·
Registered
462 Posts
This is the thing though, if in fact, the manufacturing of the EV and the disposing of the batteries pollutes iqual or more than an ICE car then what the fackk are we doing? Why going thru the limitations of an EV thinking that we are doing good or benefiting when in fact we are doing worse?:(
Uh, I think most people nowadays are getting EVs because you save tons and tons of money on a budget EV versus any ICE on the market for a commuter car in a two-car household?

You can buy it for environmental reasons if you want, but that's not why EVs are exploding in popularity.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Uh, I think most people nowadays are getting EVs because you save tons and tons of money on a budget EV versus any ICE on the market for a commuter car in a two-car household?

You can buy it for environmental reasons if you want, but that's not why EVs are exploding in popularity.
I do it for both reasons, but these green nay sayers imply that when the EV owner disposes the used battery then he/she will have to pay a fortune in fees, meaning that all the money in savings that one had in the pass will be disposed with the battery at the end.

·
Registered
142 Posts
One of the things that is rarely considered in the debate (and it is a debate) on oil Vs. electricity is the energy used in the production of oil products. There is a process to make oil; drilling, refining, shipping etc... All these actions take energy all of which uses "Coal" or "Natural Gas" to produce.

In most US Western states more than 50% of all electricity is produced via Hydro power and Natural Gas.

I'm not sure if any research group has done a study on the process costs and energy to produce an electric car (batteries and electricity) vs the costs to produce a ICE car (and gas). I did read once that it costs 7x as much to produce the equivalent amount of gasoline as can be used to drive an electric car. In other words, if we just stopped making gasoline and used that power for directly powering electric cars, it would save us 7x as much electricity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts