Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly I missed the tour stop in Buffalo New York so I never got to test one or ask questions to someone who might be informative so I figured someone here could probably answer my question.

I am 22 and currently am stuck driving around my moms Toyota Echo which isn't a bad car but I need my own and am seriously considering a smart car. I pretty much need a car to get to work which is a 2 min trip and to school which is 30 min highway drive 3 days a week. My question is how well does the engine in a smart hold up. Is it a kind of car that could withstand being driven like a regular sedan such as the echo? Im not big into acceleration and top speed, but I want to make sure that the engine wont prematurely die and breakdown due to some highway driving. I dont go faster than 70 usually but would that much use not be good? I also go on the occasional road trip and was wondering if the smart can stand something like that also.

Thanks in advance.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Sadly I missed the tour stop in Buffalo New York so I never got to test one or ask questions to someone who might be informative so I figured someone here could probably answer my question.

I am 22 and currently am stuck driving around my moms Toyota Echo which isn't a bad car but I need my own and am seriously considering a smart car. I pretty much need a car to get to work which is a 2 min trip and to school which is 30 min highway drive 3 days a week. My question is how well does the engine in a smart hold up. Is it a kind of car that could withstand being driven like a regular sedan such as the echo? Im not big into acceleration and top speed, but I want to make sure that the engine wont prematurely die and breakdown due to some highway driving. I dont go faster than 70 usually but would that much use not be good? I also go on the occasional road trip and was wondering if the smart can stand something like that also.

Thanks in advance.
The car will have a 3 0r 4 year warranty, so don't worry about the engine longevity. The engine does not rev excessively at 70 mph, so it should last just as long as any other Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well then I guess I will have to reserve a passion for myself. Should be fun getting it in January with the snowy weather in Buffalo lol :)

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Well then I guess I will have to reserve a passion for myself. Should be fun getting it in January with the snowy weather in Buffalo lol :)
I don't want to rain on your parade but........... DON'T expect to get your car in Janruary (Not Janruary 2008 that is). We don't know what production numbers will be.

Try to be realistic and keep your hopes up.
Be flexable with your specifications (colors accessories, etc) , become your salesman's best friend, show your dealer that you are qualified with your finances (preferably cash) and you will buy immediately upon his phone call.

This will put you on a preferred list at the dealer far ahead of those who think they are ahead of you.

I know from whence I speak. (This is S.O.P. with dealers)

Good luck

Make a 'Smart' move
Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Suppose I should try and locate a dealer near me although from lists ive seen the closest is a good 3 hour drive :mad: Hopefully they will have high production numbers so the wait wont be a year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Aweseome. Thats some good news. Japanese engines are pretty much indestructable so there shouldn't be much worry with it. My Subaru engine has 145000 on it with hardly a complaint. Had to replace life-limited components (timing belts, ignition coil, battery, etc.) but so far it's never quit on me or failed to start and still sounds lively. The Japs have a knack for mechanical quality. As for high revs, may or may not be a factor. My Subaru revs fairly high: 3250rpm @ 70mph in 5th gear.

The tranny shouldn't be too much of a problem either. It's still a regular manual transmission, which have relatively simple and rugged mechanics.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The reps at the smart roadshow are still saying that people who reserve one will get it in 2008; we don't know when in 2008, however. The chances of your or I getting one in the first quarter are pretty slim.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts