Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I love my Smart! She's the best!

I have never been able to find a way to check/monitor the transmission fluid. Is there a dipstick or are we working with the Crystal Ball Theory?
Please help me if you can!

Thanks,
Cindy

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
there is no dip stick. It is like a normal manual transmission. it has a top and bottom fill hole with thick oil in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick lesson in MANUAL TRANSMISSION 101. I guess my next (less than brilliant) question is...how does one keep an eye on the fluid level before any possible damage is done?

Cindy

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
there is no dip stick. It is like a normal manual transmission. it has a top and bottom fill hole with thick oil in it.
Actually, it has a SIDE fill-plug and and a bottom drain hole. The proper level of GEAR OIL (not automatic transmission fluid) is when the level is at the side fill-plug hole.

There is no provision in the smart maintenance schedule to ever change the gear oil. That omission is probably part of M-B's policy of trying to control perceived maintenance costs (like the extended engine oil change intervals). It is a manual transmission, and standard automotive procedure is to change its oil between 30k and 60k miles. In a smart it is neither difficult nor expensive. I changed mine at 1,000 miles to rid the transmission of any manufacturing and break-in detritus as there is no transmission filter. I will change it again at 45k miles, et seq.

For a transmission that supposidly never needs service, M-B/smartUSA identifiy certain oils to be used:
Castrol BOT328, 75W-90 API GL4
Mobil Delvac Synthetic gear oil 75W-90
Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90

Actually, M-B's Sheet 235.72 ("Automatic shift gear oil typ 451 and 454," dated 05 FEB 2010) specifies the Castrol BOT328 only; smartUSA's inclusion of Mobil products reflects Roger Penske's business dealings with ExxonMobil.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Well you need to change out the fluid when you change the clutch. And you change the clutch when it starts giving you problems. For some it may be at 30K for others it may make it to 100K+. It all depends on your driving conditions.

So yes they need a recommended fluid for when you get around to needing it. But setting up regular intervals that may or may not fit your driving needs can be quite wasteful

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info!

I have read about some of the transmission problems and felt I should get any info that I could.

Thanks,
Cindy

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
It's neither necessary or recommended to change the transmission oil when you change the clutch !

A good idea, but NOT necessary :)

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
The smart's transmission problems are usually not oil or maintenance related, more clutch or computer control issues than lack of oil. One would only really need to check the transmission oil if an oil leak became appparent. That has not been a common problem that I've heard about. If there needed to be one, MB would have specified a change interval.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Hey Cindy,
What did you find out about your change in shifting performance?
smart minds want to know? How's she feeling now? All better I hope.
Rich

·
Registered
240 Posts
I couldn't find GL-4 at any of the local auto stores. Plenty of GL-5, but having read somewhere on the forum that GL-5 is not desirable for GL-4 use, I ordered some Red Line synthetic that is specifically GL-4. Whether that was overkill or not, it made me happy. Just as frequent oil changes do. ha.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Our smart tech said gl-4 or gl-5, doesn't matter, as long as it's the proper weight. Although he was confused at the reason to even change it since it's 'supposed' to be for the life of the vehicle. I wasn't about to keep those filings in there...

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
smartUSA approves the same Castrol BOT 328 75W-90 GL-4 that M-B does (only), but also Mobil Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90 and Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90, again "only" (not surprising in R.P./smartUSA-dom). Both Mobil products are GL-5.

Herein is the glitch: ExxonMobil does not recommend the GL-5 Delvac be used where the specification is GL-4, and they only allow the GL-5 M1 LS be used in AXLES, with nothing said about TRANSMISSIONS. My smart center uses the M1 LS. I'm a bit concerned because scVAB used the M1 LS at my 5,000 mile transoil flush.

Pennzoil does make a true synthetic, GL-4, 75W-90, and with a different specification than their GL-5, 75W-90. The trick now is to source their GL-4. Others are available from Amsoil and Redline.

M-B continues to cleave to Castrol BOT 328, GL-4; I'd like to know GETRAG's independant take on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do you separate the engine from the transmission??? Does the flexplate need to be unbolted from the flywheel? What about reassembly?

Thanks,

·
Registered
691 Posts
I don't think you will find a flexplate, just a flywheel and clutch. It is not an automatic transmission and that is where you would find a flexplate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi i an having trouble with my 2009 smart fort two the transmission seems to be malfunctioning i get a warning light witch is the triangle emblem and the 3 bars show up then my car gets stuck in 5th gear and wont let me down shift or up shift i have been resting the esp and it works but then it comes back ? any help or ideas

·
Registered
5 Posts
I searched around and found that GL-4 was the proper lube, seems GL-5 contains something to harm the transmission, I changed mine at 30,000 and again at 60,000, both times fluid was dirty, silver looking and tiny particles. Anything with meshing gears will wear, keeping fluid changed can help it last longer.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts