Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Lost a Somewhat lengthy post I was doing up, a Few hours ago now, BUT, Basically what I Would Like to find out is, Which of these Two Repair manuals (The ONLY Two I've Found!) would You be happier using? I HAVE to buy one of them to Try and get my Sons Smart Car Going again, (I'm Hoping they BOTH have Part # Break downs too....) The Two I've Found are, Mercedes SMART CAR WIS EPC ASRA 2013 Service Repair Factory Manual ALL MODELS!! Item ID number is, (IF I Recall Correctly!) 321287671038
Now, the other one is from a Supporter (?) of this Site,

This One, is About $17.00 U.S., Plus all the Shipping and whatever else.
The Mercedes SMART CAR WIS EPC ASRA 2013 Service Repair Factory Manual ALL MODELS!! is about $44.00-45.00 U.S. PLUS all the Extras as well, Shipping Etc.
Does ANYONE have Real World Experience with Either of these, or Maybe even a Different one I've not come across yet?
All I Want, is an HONEST Real World Experience Factual type of Statement from a Member, or Members here That HAVE Actually Used one or the Other, or Both for that Matter. It's getting to the Desperation point :frustration: for my Purchase, as the little Car is taking up the Hoist at my Sons Old High School, and They Would Like it Fixed and Removed, SOON. (So Would WE to be Honest) As I Said earlier, I'm HOPING they DO Have a Part Number Breakdown so I can Find the parts I will Likely Need to get it Going.
IF ANYONE, is worried about Leaving a Negative about either of these, and Does NOT want their Name associated with it, That's Fine, Just send me a Private E-Mail/Message whatever, NO Problem.
It is a 2005 Smart Diesel I Mentioned in the NEW Members Forum over the last few days.
OK, ANYONE??????????? LOL
THANKS in Advance, (LOTS) for Any Real World Tips on these.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I have the emanualonline one and am very happy with it.

I does cover everything (all models) and the EPC but takes a "lot" of getting used to how to navigate through the system.... BUT, once you have it, it's priceless :D

OBTW, it runs in Virtual Machine :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought one on a disc from a UK source - not worth the $10. So, I signed up at http://www.alldatadiy.com/; well worth the money IMHO. :)

THANKS for The Reply there JW, BUTT, ,they don't support The One Car I would be Needing the Info on....... :frustration:
IF it was That Price for ALL the Vehicles, I'd get it Anyways. MANY Times I get sucked in to Helping a Buddy out, and as far as That Goes, I Don't think I have Two Friends that would have the Same Vehicle, So I'd be going Broke Trying to Help........
Before my Laptop I use in the Garage Puked, I Had the Snap-On Shop-key set-up. Then Low & Behold, POOF!!!!! No More Working Shop Laptop, the Only one I had Kept Configured for That Shop-Key System. My Computer Buddy is Down South, SOMEWHERE, for Another 6 Weeks! Minimum!!!! LOL
Alright, THANKS Again for The Reply JW.

The latest year they have for Smart is 2012. Are '13 and '14 identical if one was to use the '12 repair book?

I Don't Know What to Think of Mr. Pinks Post, I'm Looking for a 2005 Only, Not a 2012/13, Sorry Mr. Pink, but what is it You are trying to tell Me?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the emanualonline one and am very happy with it.

I does cover everything (all models) and the EPC but takes a "lot" of getting used to how to navigate through the system.... BUT, once you have it, it's priceless :D

OBTW, it runs in Virtual Machine :)

THANKS for the Info Chief, It's kind of what I'm Looking for, Real World Experience with one of them.
To Be Honest, ALMOST Everything Computer is taking a LOT to get Used to! LOLOL
I'd Probably put it on one of those Stick Things, or one of those DVDs to be able to Save a Bunch of Computer Space....... :shrug:
Out of Curiosity, what is EPC, and the other thing, Virtual Machine???? Hope You Don't Mind my Asking.......
Sorta Sounds Like This just MIGHT be the one I Buy.....?????......?????

:thanks_smile: for the Reply Chief! MUCH Appreciate ANY Help I get here. :bigthumbup:

ME

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EPC = Electronic Parts Catalog

Virtual Machine = Let me google that for you :wink:

Cool, this Little car has almost got to me, and when THAT Happens, so Goes Any Semblances of my Brain! (Just Can't Think anymore.....) So I DO Appear more Stupid at certain Times, more than Other times.... :shrug:

Then You REALLY Impressed me with Your Computer Wizardry/Knowledge, and Do That Google thingy, WOW!!!!!! Too Cool. I Really DO Miss the Time when I Had a Brain, used to Really Enjoy it........ :crying:

THANKS a WHOOOOOOLE Bunch Chief, Seriously Appreciate The Help You've Been my Friend! :bigthumbup: AND, :thanks_smile:

ME

·
Registered
61 Posts
I Don't Know What to Think of Mr. Pinks Post, I'm Looking for a 2005 Only, Not a 2012/13, Sorry Mr. Pink, but what is it You are trying to tell Me?
The latest year they have a Smart repair manual for is 2012. I have a 2014. Can I use the 2012 repair info for a 2014 car? Are they identical?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The latest year they have a Smart repair manual for is 2012. I have a 2014. Can I use the 2012 repair info for a 2014 car? Are they identical?

OHHHHhhhhh, OK, SORRY, I Thought Perhaps You were Trying to tell me that they Only went up to 2012, (Like I said, I Wasn't 100% Clear on Your Post, Again, SORRY....) I Don't know the Answer to That Question my Friend, I'm Still Trying to get my Head Wrapped around this '05 Smarty thing, Sorry...... :shrug:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The Mercedes WIS, EPC, etc. is a copy of the factory information. It loads from about five double-layer DVDs and is very finicky to set up. It is also is not intuitive to navigate. It has everything Mercedes and smart as far as repair procedures and parts look-up. It is locked to a MAC address of the network adapter in the computer on which it is installed with a key you will probably need to get from the supplier once the install is started. It is not updateable on-line since it is a, ah, unauthorized copy. No diagnostic information is included.

Parts look-up is available from Mercedes on-line. The subscription is $12.00 per year, since the smart info is in the truck section and not autos. Subscription info is available at http://epc.startekinfo.com under the subscribe link on the left side of the page. The parts look-up is VIN-specific.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Mercedes WIS, EPC, etc. is a copy of the factory information. It loads from about five double-layer DVDs and is very finicky to set up. It is also is not intuitive to navigate. It has everything Mercedes and smart as far as repair procedures and parts look-up. It is locked to a MAC address of the network adapter in the computer on which it is installed with a key you will probably need to get from the supplier once the install is started. It is not updateable on-line since it is a, ah, unauthorized copy. No diagnostic information is included.

Parts look-up is available from Mercedes on-line. The subscription is $12.00 per year, since the smart info is in the truck section and not autos. Subscription info is available at http://epc.startekinfo.com under the subscribe link on the left side of the page. The parts look-up is VIN-specific.

Thanks Big Time for This Info R/W! I Really Had, KINDA/SORTA/MAYBE Fingered that it was Something like a "Bootleg" Copy of Someone's Stuff, or SOMETHING, Simply because there are No Real Printed Books or Anything else available, Plus a Couple of Other Little Tip offs, if you will. The Guy You Bring up here, CLAIMS I can install it in as Many Computers as I Wanted to, and Also, CLAIMS they Don't Use now, nor have they Ever used Any Type of a "Key" thing. (I've had E-Mails going back & forth between the Two Sites I Posted....) and They BOTH Claim they Do NOT use a "Key" thing, Now at least. The E-Online guy said they USED to do that, up until 2012, and after That, No Key is Needed....... :shrug:
The Guy from Mercedes Smart Car WIS EPC, says it's Best to Download/Install his Discs on an External Hard Drive. Which is something Else I'd Have to Buy, once I Figure out what it Is......
All this, is Just to try and get my Son Back on the Road, and Out of the Neon his Mother Lent him.
I Think I'm going to go with that E-Online Guy. IF I was Still Wrenching Full Time, Back as a Professional, I'd Most Likely go With the Multiple Disc set-up. However, As I am on a Small (Fixed) Disability income, and am about 99.99999% Sure I Won't ever Really be Fit to go back to Work in the Real World, and at my Age, and Health Concerns, I'm Just Plain Happy to even be able to get out of Bed the mornings that I Can!
Well, I Guess This about as Done as Done Can Be, my Next Step will be to Figure out Which Scan Tool I am going to Buy to last me the rest of my Days. I Want a Scan tool like I Used to use when they First came out, it was a TECH 1, from the General/OTC???? I Like to be able to Stream Data Etc. and Not All of the Scan Tools Allow that. I Want to be able to do OBD, and OBD11, ABS Etc. (ABS Would Be Kind of a Requirement too. Not saying it would be a real, DEAL BREAKER, But, it Would be Nice to Have it All in One Unit.)
There's SO Many out there, some NOT Inexpensive, MANY not Very Good!
I'll save That for Another Post.
R/W, I Can't say Thanks Enough for Your Contribution here my Friend, so, THANKS a BUNCH My Good Man! (and I DO ASS U ME that..... :wink:)
You da MAN! :bigthumbup:

ME

1 - 14 of 14 Posts