Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
Now 09 451 Passion Cabriolet Met Blue & Silver First 08 451 Passion Cabriolet Yellow & Black
2,338 Posts
Remember you're considering buying a orphan brand.
With almost no dealer support.
It's not like a buying Scion, Pontiac. Oldsmobile or Saturn.
Someone else was considered buying one and a few members including myself, offered this advice.
'Don't spend any more than you're willing to lose.'
Good luck

· Registered
Now 09 451 Passion Cabriolet Met Blue & Silver First 08 451 Passion Cabriolet Yellow & Black
2,338 Posts
There really isn't much to work on. The bigger problem is if you start to run into electrical problems including battery. That's where you need the experts and their MB diagnostic Star machine.
If you decide to pull the trigger and buy it first thing I would check out is the 12-volt battery.
Make sure of it's age and if there's any question whatsoever buy a new one, cheap insurance.

Full disclosure
Just so you know Carmax will not sell or buy a smart EV/EQ because of battery issues.
That said, There have been less problems with the 453 model years than there were with the 451.

· Registered
2,338 Posts
Strange, I just looked and can't find any ev or eq available for sale on carmax. Gas yes electric nope. I don't know how far their search extends from Las Vegas. But nothing listed.

· Registered
2,338 Posts
Carvanna doesn't seem to have a problem.
As a matter of fact it was former member Steven Villatoro always sold his cars to CarMax. He was surprised when CarMax informed him, that because of battery issues CarMax would not buy his immaculate
Smart EV.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.