Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
I have three Smart EV's and we absolutely love them. Have had the longest owned one since 2015. No issues of any significance with any of them. Easiest cars to maintain I have ever had. Couple of comments about your questions - the 12v battery does not have to be changed every four years, but it is a very good idea to keep an eye on it. I actually just bought a battery from my local Mercedes dealer yesterday for $162 plus tax and it will be replacing the seven year old original battery. The original battery is chugging along just fine, but if it goes bad, it could also take out the HV battery. You can always test the 12v battery with a multimeter and there are a few versions of test units for the HV battery available. Full disclosure - my son builds one version that quite a few owners on the forum have.

There was a computer upgrade that came out in 2016 and many of us think it is important that your car has had it done. A call to the Mercedes dealer will tell you if it's been done. There is no charge to get it done or at least there shouldn't be if you need to get it done. Your local Mercedes dealer can also pull up a VMI (Vehicle Maintenance Inquiry) on your vehicle. That will show every bit of warranty work done on your car as well as any maintenance work done at a Mercedes/Smart dealership. You sometimes have to really sweet talk a dealer to release that info though.

You might try to find out one or both of the previous owners. Sometimes a dealer will share that with you and sometimes if you are lucky, you might find the previous owner's info on the manuals that hopefully will come with the car.

That all being said, I would have a hard time buying a used Smart EV right now if I didn't have a lot of history on the car and if I wasn't able to test the HV battery.

Good luck and let us know your thoughts after you see it and drive it.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 22,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 23,000 miles
2015 EV Coupe 21,000 miles

· Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
Best of luck with it Gabe. Probably good that it's going to a former Smart car dealer for that checkup. Ask specifically whether it has had the computer update I mentioned above and I'd suggest having them do a test of the HV battery too. See the attachment for a copy of what those test results look like. Check the date of the 12v battery - it is stamped on the negative terminal. Hope that it is not the original. Hope you got the owners manual packet.

If you can get them to give you a copy of the VMI that I mentioned, that would be great or at least maybe they will let you look at it. With the VIN they will be able to at least give you a copy of the data card. If not, give us the VIN and one of use will get you the data card.

Let us know how the checkup goes and holler if you have any questions.

Len

Attachments

· Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
One thing I didn't mention, but maybe in your research of the forum you discovered this. The HV battery test goes back to the last time the conditions for the test were met. That means the car had to be below 40% charge, had to sit for a couple of hours and then be recharged to 100%. If your car sat on a dealer lot for months and wasn't driven, charged, etc. the HV battery test will go back to the last time those conditions were met. So if you want to get the most accurate reading, you should jump through those hoops and have your HV battery tested currently and not what could have been months ago. Sounds like you have a few days to do it.

Len

Reactions: MB DNA
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.