Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to give my '08 451 Pure to the junkyard. (Now that I have a '17 453 Prime ED.:D) I've had the 451 since 2010, put about 125k miles on it. Needs a clutch and eventually another muffler. Not safely drive-able. IIRC, one of it's selling points was how easily recyclable it was. I don't want to part it out. Suggestions anyone? I'd be happy to give it someone here in this community.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Donate it to the blind society. Tax right off. They will fix it up, proceeds go to their group.

·
Registered
306 Posts
:eek: Sorry to hear about one going to the boneyard...
With 125,000 miles on the clock: I hope that it has served you well!
(Good luck with the "Battery Buggy"!:D)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
That's 125k on top of what it came with in 2010. Darn, not close for a freebie. But I agree, donation to a good cause is a no brainier.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
17,360 Posts
Nooooooo!!! If it were road ready I would be happy to add a fifth to the collection.

Don't care about the muffler, mine's been shot for almost a year now. What's wrong with the clutch?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nooooooo!!! If it were road ready I would be happy to add a fifth to the collection.

Don't care about the muffler, mine's been shot for almost a year now. What's wrong with the clutch?
Ok, not really the clutch that is shot, now that I think about it, but the plates inside the transmission. No smooth shifting through the gears. It's worn out, real grabby, (to the point it bangs at each gear), lunges and lurches the car. I stopped driving it for fear of parts mangling within it.

And now that I've gone electric, I don't want an ICE anymore. It is hard to part with though, I'd love to see it repaired and reused, rather than destroyed.

- Jeb (aka jebcidic)

·
17,360 Posts
For full disclosure:

I've been off and on looking for a broken or wrecked 451 to turn into a full on rally car for my Gambler 500 team. It would also do rallycross and icecross rallies. I know, I often brag about offroading my 2012, but truth be told I don't go as hardcore as I want to. I want the car in one piece, after all! So the car preferably should be a wreck or otherwise broken and not expected to be fixed up.

As a personal rule, we will not use a smart that should be given a good second life.

If you want, I can put the word out for you on the North American Smart Owner Facebook group for you. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am in Danbury CT And yes you may post on Facebook, Miss Mercedes.

Since 2010 I have been here as "Jebcidic", but had issues logging on, so I've used the google log in method instead. I will try to update my stats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The clutch on my 08 wore out after a few years they wanted $1200 for a new one so I just traded the smart in for a newer one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
clutch

Clutch wore out on my 08 after a few years, they wanted $1200 for a new one so I just traded in the 08 for a newer smart.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i was wondering when they wore out. most cars now days go 250k or more, but, not all. i am a bit surprised 125k was your number....as i see advertised much more miles on 451's for sale. ill take it. im in florida's east coast, near melbourne, cleaning up after dorian. put it in a ups box and ill pick it up at the ups local station. thanks. hope you like the 453....i really wana get the old diesel they sold in eu and canada. i think they get a million miles per gallon, or close

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Too bad you aren't closer, I've been looking for a 451 rolling body with blown engine or trans in order to strip it and make a trailer. About how much would these components weigh? I've been pulling a trailer for a while with no troubles and this weekend we went camping about 200 miles away and I got an average 47mpg pulling the trailer at 60-65 mph on the interstate (not using the A.C.) Aerodynamics definitely work for mileage. Chumly

1 - 20 of 27 Posts