Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
I'll figger this car out
222 Posts
i was wondering when they wore out. most cars now days go 250k or more, but, not all. i am a bit surprised 125k was your number....as i see advertised much more miles on 451's for sale. ill take it. im in florida's east coast, near melbourne, cleaning up after dorian. put it in a ups box and ill pick it up at the ups local station. thanks. hope you like the 453....i really wana get the old diesel they sold in eu and canada. i think they get a million miles per gallon, or close
Is it even possible to find one of these diesels? I am very familiar with CI engines.

·
17,360 Posts
Is it even possible to find one of these diesels? I am very familiar with CI engines.
Finding them is easy, titling and registering them is the hard part.

The state of Vermont will issue license plates to ANYTHING 15 years or older, no questions asked. Just mail them a bill of sale and their fees, they'll mail you back a license plate and registration. In many states, you can then go to the DMV and get that turned into a title. I do this with barn find motorcycles that have had their titles long lost. This part is perfectly legal.

Beware though, if you live in a place with emissions testing for diesels your European or Canadian market CDI may not pass. Same with a gasser you import this way.

Also know that while your rare CDI will be state legal, it won't be legal on the federal level. The few "legal" CDIs in this country were probably just driven into the country by a "tourist", then ended in the hands of someone in the US. Actually importing a vehicle involves forms, forms that can easily be used to trace. Owners of illegal Minis and Land Rovers have seen CBP knocking on their doors to seize their vehicles.

Florida is another option. They supposedly also put plates and maybe a title on everything. Never tried that method before as Vermont makes it stupid easy.

The most legal option is an engine swap, though the cost/labour involved may not make it worth it.

·
I'll figger this car out
222 Posts

The state of Vermont will issue license plates to ANYTHING 15 years or older, no questions asked. Just mail them a bill of sale and their fees, they'll mail you back a license plate and registration. In many states, you can then go to the DMV and get that turned into a title. I do this with barn find motorcycles that have had their titles long lost. This part is perfectly legal.

Beware though, if you live in a place with emissions testing for diesels your European or Canadian market CDI may not pass. Same with a gasser you import this way.

Also know that while your rare CDI will be state legal, it won't be legal on the federal level. The few "legal" CDIs in this country were probably just driven into the country by a "tourist", then ended in the hands of someone in the US. Actually importing a vehicle involves forms, forms that can easily be used to trace. Owners of illegal Minis and Land Rovers have seen CBP knocking on their doors to seize their vehicles.

Florida is another option. They supposedly also put plates and maybe a title on everything. Never tried that method before as Vermont makes it stupid easy.

The most legal option is an engine swap, though the cost/labour involved may not make it worth it.
BTW by CI engine, I meant " compression ignition (aka diesel) vice SI- spark ignition. Not to be confused with CDI.

·
I'll figger this car out
222 Posts

Where do you live, Jeb?

·
17,360 Posts
BTW by CI engine, I meant " compression ignition (aka diesel) vice SI- spark ignition. Not to be confused with CDI.
The CDI smarts are common rail diesels.
My response was to the question "is it even possible to find one of these diesels?" which itself appeared to be a response to "i really wana get the old diesel they sold in eu and canada." 🤷

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Don’t know if the guy in Florida is still importing from Canada and titling them in the U.S. before offering them for sale. Wasn’t the count +/- 100?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts