Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ABS / ESP lights came on just as I was setting out to get 4 new tires. I went ahead and got the tires, then went over to Mercedes service center. The advisor couldn't give me any information except that I would have to pay them $220 just to get estimates. My independent shop later scanned codes C1133 and C1131 and said the problem was in the rear right wheel area. He said the sensor was working well but the corrosion on the axle's reluctor ring was causing the sensor not to read properly.

I read posts here saying to remove both axles and replace the reluctor rings. My shop doesn't want to do this and wants to replace just one axle, the rear right axle. He says the axle is too rusted for reluctor ring replacement to work, which seems incorrect to me after what I've read here.

Question: Is it OK to replace just one axle? Wouldn't that cause an imbalance which would then cause other problems? Or should I just go ahead and order and replace the one axle?

Another question: As I was driving around looking for solutions, just coincidentally the muffler became very loud. My shop welded in a new flex pipe. Is that a safe repair to be driving long distances with?

·
Registered
427 Posts
They might feel it's not worth their time, hassle, or insurance coverage to replace the reluctor. I would ask for the old axle to be saved and I would put it in my parts bin to change the reluctor myself later, but that's me and I like to have spares.

If one reluctor has broken, the other is probably not too far behind it. I would probably replace both unless money were very tight.

I assume you mean the flex pipe for the exhaust? If so, assuming they did a competent job I imagine it's as good as new, possibly better. I don't consider exhaust issues as critical unless it's something severe. When mine was broken I delayed fixing it for months. Mine had separated where it joins to the muffler, which allowed the muffler to rotate and melt a bit of the rear valence. I made a little bracket to hold the muffler in around the right spot (imagine something like a splint for the exhaust) which worked well enough that I waited a few more weeks after getting a replacement to bother installing it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I was thinking to do regarding saving the old axles. I would like to replace both but the MB dealership says they will have to order the left axle from Germany and it will take 10 days. I've called and looked all over for both axles here but I can't find them, no one has them. I don't want a used Ebay axle. I don't think anything listed on Ebay is really new or for a Smart car, or else they will just order them from Germany, too, and charge me more than the MB dealership, which quotes $427 for right, $415 for left. I'm reassured that the exhaust repair will be OK. Thanks, gt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I emailed an Ebay vendor for more information about their products and they gave me the following suggestion. The vendor is dealersalessolutions.
Does anyone know this company? or think it would be OK to order at least the Left Axle from them? That's the one that everyone else says has to come from Germany and takes 10 days to arrive. Would they really have it here in stock? They asked for my VIN number, so I thought they must be serious and maybe trustworthy.

Wrong Listing:
New Genuine Smart Fortwo Rear Axle Shaft Left OE 4513570701
FAST & FREE SHIPPING - NEW GENUINE FACTORY DIRECT PART
Condition: New
Price: US $313.38

Update: They now say this part is 451 357 120108 and costs $442.32, more than MBenz. I'm sure this is again wrong, so I won't continue with them. Always check things before ever ordering from them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I went through this last year. With the cost difference between replacing just the ring versus the axle it might be worth getting someone to try replacing the ring. I had my rings replaced by an independent mechanic after being told by Mercedes that they had to replace the axle because they couldn’t get just that one part. No regrets.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply, Ar. My independent mechanic says he doesn't think ring replacement will work for various reasons, so I need to get the axles in case it doesn't work. That's why I'm asking if anyone knows the Ebay vendor I named above.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for your reply, Ar. My independent mechanic says he doesn't think ring replacement will work for various reasons, so I need to get the axles in case it doesn't work. That's why I'm asking if anyone knows the Ebay vendor I named above.
Bummer!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have bought some parts from them on eBay and have been happy with price and shipping speed.

-Barry-
Thanks very much, Barry. They may actually be OK, but I'm not getting the precise information I'm asking them for in emails. They sent me 2 Ebay auction links, then when I said I would like to order one of them if they would assure me the part was in stock and wouldn't take a long time to come from Germany, they sent me an email saying "the part has been 'updated' '' and gave me a different part number and much higher price.

These part numbers are the correct ones for 2008 and 2009 axles, but always provide your VIN# to verify a part:
4513570701 - rear left axle
4513570801 - rear right axle

4513570501 and
4513570601 will not work and are for year 2007

Update:
In fact, there really are updated part numbers. I posted them in an updated post below.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've had fair luck with these guys for the few parts I have ordered through them, might be worth a look.
Thank you, gt. I will call them first thing in the morning. I saw their website and they don't have the parts numbered 4513570701 and 4513570801, but they have 4513570501 and 4513570601 which have the year 2007 indicated. It looks to me like they may be somehow affiliated with MBenz since HQs is in NJ and so are they. I hope to get orders finalized tomorrow. I've decided to order 2 reluctor rings from Smartmods and both axles on the condition that I can return any of these. Then I'll appear at the shop with everything we might need and try ring repair first, then axle replacement if it doesn't work. It's such an expense, and I'm worried that after all we do, maybe there may be a different problem that didn't show up on the scanner.
Thanks for your help.

Update: Here's their answer:
8/25/2020 answer from: MBOnlineParts. com ([email protected])
Re: 2009 Smart Car Left and Right Rear Axles, 4513570501 and 4513570601
Hello , the correct parts for your vin # are 4513570701 & 4513570801.
We do not have them in stock & must be ordered.

Another update: Here's another answer of theirs:

4513570701 SUB TO 451357120128
4513570801 SUBS TO 4513571300
5 DAYS TO GET & SHIP , PRICES ARE ON THE WEBSITE

When I went to order, I found the right rear axle has been discontinued for sale by them and the left rear axle is as follows:

2009 Smart Fortwo – Rear Axle Shaft - 451-357-12-01-28 (left)
Replaces: 451-357-07-01, 451-357-12-01
List Price: $406.00
You Save: $81.20 (20% off)
Sale Price: $324.80 + 25.xx shipping + 31.xx tax = $381.xx
Manufacturer Warranty: Minimum of 12 Months
Guaranteed Fitment, Always the correct parts, Shop with Confidence, Your information is safe, In-House Experts, We know our products, Genuine Parts

2009 Smart Fortwo – Rear Axle Shaft – 451-357-13-00 (right)
Replaces: 451-357-08-01, 451-357-13-01
DISCONTINUED PRODUCT
No Longer Available For Purchase

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, forget even trying to find axles anywhere but MBenz dealership. None of the many places I contacted had the two axles in stock and even if they had one, they were priced higher than MBenz and may have even been the wrong axle for the 451 and they wanted 20% restocking fee plus postage for a return.

I finally got 2 reluctor rings from Smartmods, 2 axles and 2 axle seals from MBenz. I took all this to my independent shop. They removed both axles, we inspected them and saw that they were not at all damaged and that the right side reluctor ring had a crack in it and the left side did not. The rings came off easily. Then the trouble started.

The mechanic did not clean the left axle well, would not listen to me and seemed to resent me even being there. I let him proceed on his own and he broke the left axle at the joint and ripped the boot, pounding away on the new reluctor ring with a round piece of pcv pipe to fit the ring onto the axle. Then the manager came to me and said that he had just "discovered" that the boot on my axle was "beginning to wear out" and "seemed to have a small tear in it" and that I might just be better off installing the new axles - which I could have returned at no charge for a refund of close to $900.if the mechanic had not ripped up and broken my perfectly good old axle.

I just gave up and let them install the new axles which they had a lot of trouble doing. I brought both old axles home with me and thoroughly cleaned them up myself with degreaser, a wire brush and chisel and patched the hole they made in the boot with tape so grease doesn't continue to leak out, then boxed them up to keep or give away or repair if that is possible. I made them take off the one new reluctor ring they had tried to fit onto the left axle, so I now have 2 beautiful gold reluctor rings to wear as bangles.

Now here's a question. They gave me back the axle seals and said they were the wrong ones for my car. The part number is 0139976146, just as everyone here and at MBenz has told me is the right one. The seals looked very small to me, and I seemed to remember them being a lot larger and flatter when I've had them replaced twice before. Question: Are there two different axle seals for the 450 and the 451, both of which would fit my 451? Could it be that someone mistakenly put the larger 450 axle seal on my 451 Smart and seeing that, the mechanic thought the new axle seals were the wrong ones? I'm so distressed about this. I think the mechanic is wrong and could have easily fitted the new axle seals onto my car. But he left the old ones on. Or were they really the wrong ones?

I'm about to make an 800 mile trip to the South and don't want to break down on the trip, so I would greatly appreciate any advice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts