Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Chevy astro it was just the ABS sensor. I have a scan tool but what is the most common cause/ fix of this issue?
Would rather not drive long like this.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None yet was trying to survey what others had gotten as results of an ABS light. Having a mechanic buddy do an extensive scan to show all issues. My experience with forums for years has been that it helps to take a consensus to see what others have had as the issue. Saves everyone doubling the work.

·
Registered
355 Posts
TOOTH SPACE ON LEFT REAR INCREMENT WHEEL

That is the diagnosis. Do I need a new axle or is the "increment wheel" replaceable by itself?
There are two ways you can go to repair this concern. The most expensive and quickest way to resolve this concern is to replace the axle which will come with a new reluctor ring. The other procedure would involve acquiring a new reluctor ring which I believe you can find on e-bay. The old ring will have to be removed and the new ring installed in it's place. Both procedures will require axle removal.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again. I am now just trying to track down a source closer than the UK to get on asap. All ebay sellers are from there.
Anyone have a quicker source?
Already got the instructional pics from evilution. Looks doable to me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So after some reflection I figure if the ring wore out maybe I spring $100 for an axle to avoid further near future issues. Not sure how many miles the axle usually lasts. I am @ 85k

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, it's pressed on.
have you actually changed one of these rings? I had ABS and ESP lights come on and lost the ability to set cruise control. Everything I read pointed to rings, I bought new ones then went through process of inspecting old ones, they were dirty but in great shape. The old ones cleaned up to look like the new ones! I cleaned sensors while there. My question is...how do I reset lights? should they go off if problem is fixed?

·
Super Moderator
29,439 Posts
have you actually changed one of these rings? I had ABS and ESP lights come on and lost the ability to set cruise control. Everything I read pointed to rings, I bought new ones then went through process of inspecting old ones, they were dirty but in great shape. The old ones cleaned up to look like the new ones! I cleaned sensors while there. My question is...how do I reset lights? should they go off if problem is fixed?
The real question is what is causing those lights? Have you scanned for OBD codes? It could be a brake system issue vs. the reluctor rings. Once the problems are fixed, the codes should reset after several driving cycles, or they can be reset by a proper code scanner. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The real question is what is causing those lights? Have you scanned for OBD codes? It could be a brake system issue vs. the reluctor rings. Once the problems are fixed, the codes should reset after several driving cycles, or they can be reset by a proper code scanner. :)
i have a code reader that reads ABS codes, no codes are detected. i tried unhooking neg battery for a while but that didnt help. my next step will be to check brake switch. I have driven with these lights on for several months, nothing is different about car, thats why i assumed it was rings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts