Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After 3 winters without snow tires, I decided to get some this year. Based on my budget and past experiences, I decided to just get them for the rear. With the guidance of my car nut dad, I got Blizzak 185/55R-15's. We got our first snow here in Wisconsin, so we put on the new tires (which I had installed on new rims with new TPMS's). Of course the snow then immediately melted. For the first week I was dealing with some stability control issues which I attributed to having snow tires on dry, warm (relatively speaking pavement). Well this week, the ABS light starting coming on and staying on when I'm on the highway. It turns off if I turn the car off and back on again, but comes back on when I'm at highway speeds. My nearest smart dealer is 90 minutes away and I don't have tons of funds for service (otherwise I'd have 4 snow tires, not 2). Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Administrator
29,532 Posts
:welcome: to SCoA!

Best guess is they aren't close enough to the standard tires' circumferences and that's throwing off the ESP. :)

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Could probably get a real nice set for that price, no? (Unless there's been some kind of crazy inflation that I don't know about.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got them from TireRack but there is only one brand small enough for a smart that TireRack sells (Continental) and they have horrible reviews so I'd have to get them somewhere else. I'm regretting ever getting snow tires at all. This is a disaster. I would highly advise against it. I wiped out my savings and am now apparently screwed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only spent $500 for tires and wheels for the rear but I have to go much higher end to get anything that fits the front.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Just went to TireRack and got a quote of $1066.44 shipped to me for a set of 4 mounted and balanced on the rims with TPMS. I'm really sorry to see you may have spent too much!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm more trying to figure out what the problem is since I've already invested in these tires and wheels. I don't understand why this is happening. I head about people doing all sorts of crazy stuff like putting rear tires on the front with no mention of problems.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I read this from TireRack regarding the tires you got:

"Install Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 tires in sets of four only."

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
But I checked, might have more to do with that you should have a set of four. Diameter difference isn't too great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How when I know they don't work? There isn't a size available for the front so having 4 is not on option.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts