Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the forum for all the useful information on ABS problems related to cracked reluctor rings. I found my 2008 (68000 miles) with this condition, and after removing the split ring I found corrosion between the ring and the CV joint just as the posts indicated. I could not find any rings in the US, so I used my dremel tool and carefully removed all the corrosion with the rotary sander attachment. By the time I was done, the ring slid on quite easily. I "glued" it on using 3M panel bonding adhesive (used to bond body parts together). I used a hose clamp to clamp it for 24 hours while the glue set. Today I reassembled and drove the car, and I no longer get any ABS activation when braking, and the ABS light remained out during the test drive. Before the repair the ABS activated with every application of the brakes and the light came on every time I passed thru 45 MPH. This panel adhesive should prevent a reoccurrence because it will completely seal the surfaces where the ring and CV joint mate.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Thanks to the forum for all the useful information on ABS problems related to cracked reluctor rings. I found my 2008 (68000 miles) with this condition, and after removing the split ring I found corrosion between the ring and the CV joint just as the posts indicated. I could not find any rings in the US, so I used my dremel tool and carefully removed all the corrosion with the rotary sander attachment. By the time I was done, the ring slid on quite easily. I "glued" it on using 3M panel bonding adhesive (used to bond body parts together). I used a hose clamp to clamp it for 24 hours while the glue set. Today I reassembled and drove the car, and I no longer get any ABS activation when braking, and the ABS light remained out during the test drive. Before the repair the ABS activated with every application of the brakes and the light came on every time I passed thru 45 MPH. This panel adhesive should prevent a reoccurrence because it will completely seal the surfaces where the ring and CV joint mate.
Now that you have all that work done, make sure you put some rustoleum on it !!! Might as well clean and paint the other side too :)

Ask me how I know :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts