Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, with Spring coming soon I'd like to make sure my two daily smarts are in decent shape. For the 451 this means figuring out what's causing my ABS to fail at sustained highway speeds.

My reluctor rings look pretty crusty, but before I go about replacing them I want to also check the sensors and their wires

I checked Evilution up and down but I can't find anything on them. I know the sensors go to the wheels, but where are their exact locations?

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,083 Posts
There has be a wire going to each sensor. The sensor has to pick up signal from the outer edge of the teeth on the reluctor. The fronts look to be fairly easy to replace but the rear is a pain. The rear axles have to be pulled in order to heat the reluctor rings enough to tap them off the axle. Then it takes a little heat to expand the new ones enough to tap them into place. To pull the rear axles you have to remove the rear tires and take the center bolt out of the brake drum. Then you can use a small drift and hammer to tap the axle back out of the hub assembly. That's the easy part. In order to get the axle to clear the backing plate to get at the end of it you have to pull both bolts out of the crossmember there behind the muffler. That allows the De Dion axle to spread a little bit apart to allow you to get the end of the axle free. Then a nice little tug will pull the other end from the differential. when you pull the bolts out of the crossmember it will forcibly spring apart a little so use caution. Then when you get the axle back into place you have to get the crossmember bolt at each end back in place and you will find the De Dion spread to far apart for that. You have to get a long piece of pipe or a really long crowbar and put it end the end of the De Dion and pull the thing towards the center of the car to get the bolt started back. It takes a good bit of strength to do that. It takes 2 people. One to pull the pipe and the other to start the bolt. Also note you will probably lose some transmission oil out of the differential when you pull the axle. If you are going to the bother to pull the axles, do yourself a favor and buy new seals for the axles at the differential because they are prone to leak. Don't ask me how I know...Lol. DCO

·
Super Moderator
17,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So in other words the sensors ought to be the only wires going to the wheels, got it! :)

Thanks for the instructions! I had already studied the Evilution ones. Doesn't look too hard provided one has patience, tools, and maybe a second hand.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Have something. I don’t want to post publicly because they have a copyright on every page. Can PM me an email and I’ll be happy to send to you...

·
Registered
333 Posts
I believe the rear wheel speed sensor pickups are located on the front of the axle housing in the same plane as the reluctor ring.

~toaster

1 - 5 of 5 Posts