Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to LA yesterday for a business trip, and it was about 94 degrees outside. The A/C blew cool for about 150 miles, and then gradually got less and less powerful. The air got warmer and the fan got less strong. I'd heard on the forums that this had happened to other people. I tried something that seemed to get it working again.

Once it had gotten rather hot and weak, I turned the A/C off and let it go full-blast on closed-circuit for 5 min. I opened the windows too, so I wouldn't completely bake. After a few min, the air was blowing strong and it was as hot as the air coming in thru the windows, and I actually felt some drops of water (condensation?) blow onto my hand. I then turned the A/C on again, and it blew strong and cold the rest of the way to LA, even going up the grapevine.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
It froze up. could be low refrigerant level. could also be the air inlet sensor in the passenger foot well, left wall. Unplug and replug sometimes disturbs the sensor connections enough to get it working again. SC should be able to handle this . This is a fairly common problem. Search and you will find previous similar threads. good luck and keep cool.

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,554 Posts
I've tended lately to run the AC while the fan's on level "3" strength to avoid the tendency of some cars to freeze up over the evaporator. While I've never had a full-blown freeze-up, I'd hate to be stuck in the situation so I'm willing to put up with the extra noise.

Evaporators tend to freeze when there's restricted airflow such as closing too many vents in a home A/C system. Running the A/C with the fan on "1" in humid conditions will tend to present troubles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just had mine at the Dealer for a 10,000 mile check up and odds and ends done. I noticed the same issue and had them check out. I was told that everything checked out and they called the factory to find it is the "design" of the system and that it will freeze up and thaw down the highway IF you have it down on the lowest temperature setting like I usually have it. Bump it up one notch from the bottom and it should work cool all the time although on hot days you may need to run a higher speed and keep the fan on cabin recirculating

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
i had the same issue coming back from the Indy event 2 weeks ago. Turned the air off, rolled the windows down, and turned the heat on full blast for about 2 minutes. Thawed the system out and it worked fine the rest of the way home. Like mighty mini said, keep it up one notch from coldest, and it probably won't happen.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
Yep, just freezing up. As others mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to have the refrigerant checked if it happens frequently.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Concur: most likely low referigerant levels. The phase change is occuring not at the expanson valve but further down the line. It's a carefull, precise balance, one of the major variables being the level of refrigerant.

I've had it happen to me twice in my life. Either way, I suspect you have a leak somewhere.

Tom

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't know if I am having the same problem you describe- but in my pure, I have cold A/C for a while during my commute. Then it gets "not as cool" and starts blowing air at the same force, but noticeable temp change. Interior is nowhere near cooled off inside yet. I found that if I take the temp slide control, and just move it up to about 72ish, wait a moment, and slide it back down, then I have cold A/C again. This has only happened a few times so far, and each time, the outside temp was very warm- 90 degrees or so.
Took car to dealer this week, they checked for trouble codes, as the tech explained that a trouble code could exist without a dash light ever coming on. Odd thing is that there are no trouble codes. He contacted smart USA and opened up a case file on my car, and expects to hear back yet this week about which direction to go with it (of course it didn't fail when we were at the dealer). He did mention that he has seen this before and each time it was in the control unit....
Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts