Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an issue with my AC this summer. I do not use it much but when I went to use it I would only get warm air. So, I knew that it needed to be charged.

My understanding is that AC systems are a closed system. The dealer told me no, that the gas gets "used up." I said that did not make sense. He reaffirmed that was the case.

I spoke to a couple other dealers (not Smart) and a private mechanic. They told me ALL AC systems are closed and the only way is for it to have a leak.

I have an extended warranty and still needed to pay for it since it was a charge and NOT repair. The dealer said they put in the dye and tested it and didn't find a leak. I was told (from a dealer and the private mechanic) there has to be a leak and it could be very small and they just did not do a good job of finding it.

So, can someone clarify here for me. Is the Smart dealer correct? Is it NOT a closed system?

Thanks!

PS - The heater went out the winter before and was replaced under warranty. I think that may have something to do with it as well.

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
Obviously a closed system or the EPA would be all over it. All auto A/C systems are closed. If it's losing refrigerant there's a leak. Since the smart center can't find it, have the independent shop chase it down and bill the warranty company. :)

And welcome to SCoA!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AC Closed System

That is what I SAID TOO! It HAS to be closed. You can't have the gas leaking out into the environment!

The manager told me no I was WRONG. It gets "used up" and needs to be recharged.

I argued the point for a half hour and they said there is nothing that can be done. I told them to BILL the warranty since it HAS to be a leak. They said can't since they couldn't FIND a leak. I told them to LOOK HARDER.

They also said that I would need to pay for the diagnostic to FIND the leak but if it was leaking they would replace or fix it under the warranty.

BTW - this IS a SMART extended warranty.

It has been about 6 months now. Any recourse?

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
You may want to read the warranty again; it's actually a service contract and I'm pretty sure offered by a third party, not smart USA (could be wrong - let us know.) You can have the work done anywhere, as long as the repair is covered under the terms of the agreement. :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Welcome aboard. The AC systems are closed. A few years back (probably 15 or more) all AC shops had to buy a new machine that captures the freon instead of letting it go into the air. You were being fed something that grows where the sun doesn't shine. Or, as was said in Gulf War One, "bovine scatology." Let the fun begin

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Yep, it's a closed system, and my guess is that if you don't use it very often, the leak is probably coming from the input shaft seal on the compressor. They need to be used once in a while to keep the seal lubed up and in good condition. That's why even in the winter, I use full defrost once in a while so the compressor runs and keeps the seals lubed. It's especially important on the new systems, because they run at higher pressures than the old Freon systems.

Your dealership is feeding you a line of B.S.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
FWIW: Don't automatically assume the A/C is out of freon. I had someone a few months ago think along the same lines as you. What I found it to be was the wire down in the passenger footwell that goes to a sensor had a broken pigtail. Also more than one person has had a problem with the climate control (HVAC control) go bad. Just something else to think about instead of automatically going after the thought of no freon.

·
Registered
651 Posts
closed system

It is a closed system and most repair centers can check if it is low on freon by hooking the system up to gauges.I would suggest you go to a different smart center or at least have a private garage check it.I do not know if your warranty which is in fact insurance would cover repairs ,call and ask.

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
Here's the sensor in the footwell Kermit mentioned; some folks have had good luck unplugging it and putting it back on - worth a shot!

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts