Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AC works good but stops cooling at low engine speeds. Compressor quits working. When engine rpms back up compressor works. Is this normal for the Smart.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
More than likely the computer is shutting it off when it senses the lack of power. If you floor it at higher speeds, it will sometimes interrupt the compressor when it thinks you need the extra power.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
My AC works good but stops cooling at low engine speeds. Compressor quits working. When engine rpms back up compressor works. Is this normal for the Smart.
Might be a symptom of low freon levels. It is possible for a/c compressor interruption when the vehicle senses a load, i.e. acceleration, however you are suggesting it works when under load and not working during idle. It's pretty easy to check the freon levels so I would start there if I was you. The freon capacity is small with such a small engined vehicle as our smart 0.9L's are. I've seen the new 453 about 1/2 pound low of freon on a few occasions...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked Freon levels, good. At idle, no cooling. On acceleration, no cooling. Only at cruise. Now if I really slow on takeoff, I do mean slow, it will stay on. Really my 2013 had a better system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where do you live? I live south and this is common (Humidity) but if its shutting off all the way maybe check your coolant level. I know some cars will shut off if the car starts to over heat. I have a 2013 and it stays running but it obviously gets warmer when the car is stopped. I just had the condenser fan replace to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where do you live? I live south and this is common (Humidity) but if its shutting off all the way maybe check your coolant level. I know some cars will shut off if the car starts to over heat. I have a 2013 and it stays running but it obviously gets warmer when the car is stopped. I just had the condenser fan replace to.
I posted Freon pressure is good. Car is not running hot. Only has 11k on it. Been this way since new.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
AC units in vehicles turn on and off during normal operation. The compressor doesn't continually run. If you were real low on freon. The compressor wouldn't really work at all. Warm or some cool air would come out of your vents.

If your worried about you AC system. Take you car in to AC shop.Check to see if you have a freon leak. Run some dye though the unit. If so have one. the shop will fix your system. They will add the nessary freon amount.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not being critical here folks but I have stated twice freon pressure is correct and two has said check freon pressure. I would like to know if other 453 owners are having the same results. Houston Mercedes says its fine.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Not being critical here folks but I have stated twice freon pressure is correct and two has said check freon pressure. I would like to know if other 453 owners are having the same results. Houston Mercedes says its fine.
It is under warranty, so possibly another local dealer? Something is wrong.

Actually, high freon level also results in no coldness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been having a similar problem on my 2016. After running at highway speeds (50 mph -70 mph) and exiting the highway, my car will blow warm air when stopped at a traffic light or when parking. It will resume cooling after a minute at arterial road speeds (35 - 45 mph). Is this a coolant level problem?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I've been having a similar problem on my 2016. After running at highway speeds (50 mph -70 mph) and exiting the highway, my car will blow warm air when stopped at a traffic light or when parking. It will resume cooling after a minute at arterial road speeds (35 - 45 mph). Is this a coolant level problem?

Not normal. Visit your local smart center and have your car evaluated by a factory certified technician.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I experience similar problem which compressor clutch de-energized when accelerating or even when I release the from the brake peddle during idle, the compressor will de-energize immediately. The AC works fine when idle or when the car running continuously, but it keep de-erergize the AC in stop and go traffic. Is your issue fixed? any recommendation you can give for trouble shooting.
( High / low pressure of refrigerant has been checked normal)

·
Registered
Smart Prime 453
4 Posts
Hi Glenn. Wanted to know what was the deal with this… I know this is an old post... but I’ve bought a 2016 smart and a similar thing is happening… AC works but after I am driving the car. I live in MIami and during the day we Are at 90º. My car is under warranty and I am going to take it to a MB service center next week. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
244 Posts
luisphr, gas or electric Smart? The above discussions were for gas models, but yours still being under warranty suggests it is electric. The solutions will be different.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts