Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Passion 451. 112,000 miles. Daily driver, i've added 24,000 miles to it since October.

This weekend, it worked pretty good, as long as I was moving. If the car sat and idled for a while, it would not stay cold.

However, yesterday and today, the air is coming out about 85 degrees. Cooler on the two passenger side vents.

I had the pressures checked, and the tech said it looks about right for the ambient air temp.

The sensor accessible from the passenger footwell does not seem to have any debris on it.

Blend door and fan are working, what seems to be correctly.

Removing the cabin air filter, I'm feeling HOT air coming out of the door there with the recirculate on and on full cold.

HELP! It's way too hot for no AC!

·
Super Moderator
11,231 Posts
Welcome! A\C can be just a bit low and not work properly. It could be that you need a complete drain down and the system evacuated with a vacuum pump, then recharged. Hard to give an exact answer without having the car in front f me. Could also be a plugged condenser fins(at the front of the radiator) keeping airflow from cooling the condenser (in front of the radiator)

If you run the A/C and the pump goes on and off a bunch, it could be low.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Constant recirculate.................

I seem to remember that someone on this forum,said that if you run the recirculate to long,it will cause the condenser
to freeze up,and start blowing warm air??..........................

·
Registered
146 Posts
I seem to remember that someone on this forum,said that if you run the recirculate to long,it will cause the condenser
to freeze up,and start blowing warm air??..........................

Yep, as humidity goes up, any airflow restriction in the evaporator coil will cause it to ice up, and that appears as hot air coming out. Best to leave the outside air open.

SR

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not iced up. The evaporator never gets cold. Evaporator was at 78degrees yesterday when I checked it with a thermocouple poked in the hole that the factory sensor snaps into. Both the mix door and the recirc doors are working fine. The freon levels were checked by a local shop using pressures for both high and low. He said they looked right on for the temperature it was when checked.

It was working fine this weekend, but just not great. At idle, it would slowly get "not cold", and seemed to slowly progress to worse over the weekend. But now a road trip, it never gets cold.

Compressor clutch is not going on/off as I would expect if it was low. I have not added any freon since I've owned this car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2008 Passion and my A/C quit working and it would start back working again. I had the Freon checked and everything was correct. I read on this forum that you can bump the A/C blower motor and it will start working again. I did and it did. Every now and then it will stop and I bump the blower motor with my finger and wala it works. I ordered a new blower motor and I plan to replace it. The motor was $75 on eBay. I did remove the motor, takes about 5 minutes and cleaned it and that helped a lot. It was very dirty and I suspect the armature has a dead spot in it. The motor is just above the cabin air filter on the drivers side. Un-plug the connector and give the motor a turn counter clock wise and it will pop right out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts