Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 smart, and since I bought it (a year ago), the air conditioner only blows cold when driving. If I idle, the airflow decreases and starts blowing warm/not cold. There's also a humming/buzzing sound, where it sounds like it's struggling somewhere in the car. If I have the car on, with the engine off, the fan blows just fine with no struggle. I've also noticed that if i'm in idle, or stuck in traffic too long, the temperature light comes on. It goes away when I start driving again though. I don't know if these issues are related, but i'm stumped. Any ideas?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Check your radiator fan at the front of the car
I have a 2013 smart, and since I bought it (a year ago), the air conditioner only blows cold when driving. If I idle, the airflow decreases and starts blowing warm/not cold. There's also a humming/buzzing sound, where it sounds like it's struggling somewhere in the car. If I have the car on, with the engine off, the fan blows just fine with no struggle. I've also noticed that if i'm in idle, or stuck in traffic too long, the temperature light comes on. It goes away when I start driving again though. I don't know if these issues are related, but i'm stumped. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check coolant level, and possibly the condition of the coolant. everything points to overheating.
The coolant is in good condition, and right level. I don't know how the ac works on here, but the fan blows at full strength when idle. if you switch to ac, it struggles and blows weakly until i start driving

·
Registered
177 Posts
Something with the blower circuitry is faulty, or the electrical system drops voltage when the compressor clutch engages.

SR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts