Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to our annual club koi auction today and on the way home the AC wouldn't work. The blower turns on, but the compressor never kicked on. It took me about 50 minutes to drive home in 84 degrees F outdoor temp (according to the car display). I was worried I would pass out and my fish would die from the heat and Georgia sun shining from the hatch.

When I got home, I turned the car off, unloaded the fish and tried starting it again. In less than a minute the compressor kicked on and it got cool. I'm afraid that the dealer wouldn't be able to replicate the problem if I bring it in.

BTW, I was surprised how loud the fan noises are from outside the car.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's possible your A/C iced up; condensation turned to ice and blocked flow of air. When you turned it off the ice melted and it started working again. Most likely to happen in humid weather.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
It usually takes a while for the icing to happen. I learned in the deep south here when it is REALLY hot and humid, that it is mandatory to turn re-circ ON to keep it cooling, or it will ice up on long trips.
I don't think that is what happened to you. Your a.c. controller has memory that your dealer with their STAR computer can read and may be able to decipher what happened. Your ED is most likely under warranty, so I'd definitely take it in. Solve it now rather than later.

Watch out for Blue Herons. A customer came in looking for poultry netting to cover their small back yard pond. His wife had named all their Koi and watched the Blue Heron swallow one of her favorites. Her screaming scared the big bird away, but not soon enough. It was an expensive lunch as you can well imagine. It was her favorite blue Koi she watched disappear.

·
Registered
185 Posts
We have friends here who lost their koi to coons and herons repeatedly til they built an enclosure... which looks a lot like a prison fence on the back of their house. Kept the fish though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts