Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,
Mom's 2008 AC is barely getting cold.
Went to do a refill and the bottle fitting that I've used in the past on my Honda Element and Ford Ranger pickup doesn't fit the Smart car.
Is this a different fitting for Mercedes?
Super weird.
It won't even start to turn on the nipple fitting.. like it's too small.
I've enclosed pictures of what kind of AC refill I'm using.
Also, I was planning on filling the top AC port ( The larger one ) which surprisingly enough is easy to get to. :)

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
It probably is. The fittings on a smart are both in the same location, High pressure side and the low pressure side. If you look at the picture above, between the open port (without the cap) and the pressure sensor, you will see a cap that is below them. That is probably the port you want. And yes it is a pain to get to. They are different sizes so you don't lug into the wrong side . They are also a push-on fitting and not a screw on fitting like the old R12 days..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jim!
Funny, I couldn't see that lower port with my eyes, but I do see it with the picture, haha.
My concern here, is that the instructions on the AC refill reads that the fill line is the larger of the two lines.. which is the one where the cap won't fit on to.

I'll see what I can get done today without the 98 degree heat beating down on me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey hey...
Found this video... pretty sure I was trying to attach to the wrong AC tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNk9qeiLiyA

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Those cans are pretty generic and probably don't apply to smarts. You do have to have mighty small hands to get in there and attach the couplings, and sometimes they are too large to use in that tight area. I ended up using a different connector than my usual ones as the hoses weren't flexible enough to allow me to attach both connectors. Ya gotta do what works!

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Argh! I have an electric 2015 and after spending two hours and $40 on refrigerant/stop leak, determined that the port I was trying to use wasn't the correct one. Apparently, the low pressure fitting sits BELOW the one I was using, and there's no human way to put a hose on it without completely removing the entire front-end assembly.

I believe the blue-tipped port, below the uncapped on is the low-pressure port. Clearance? Nah!

I swore I wasn't going to take the car back to the stealership, who in April flushed and filled the system and reported no leaks. I paid them $260. So, to do it myself, I have to get a Torx-25, Torx-30 and rivet puller and disassemble the entire front end.

Some of you say DIY on smarts is easy. Maybe, if you've got a garage and a rolling tool box. I have a (small) garage, but not the tools.

What a freaking disaster. I guess I'll pony up the lost time to take it to the stealership, pay the money to have the A/C charged - again - and then put the car up for sale. I don't need this headache.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got it working again!
Just needed a refill.. blowing cold air now.
Definitely needed to have the can plugged into the lower AC line, haha

Thanks for the help/suggestions!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Argh! I have an electric 2015 and after spending two hours and $40 on refrigerant/stop leak, determined that the port I was trying to use wasn't the correct one. Apparently, the low pressure fitting sits BELOW the one I was using, and there's no human way to put a hose on it without completely removing the entire front-end assembly.
I believe the blue-tipped port, below the uncapped on is the low-pressure port. Clearance? Nah!

I swore I wasn't going to take the car back to the stealership, who in April flushed and filled the system and reported no leaks. I paid them $260. So, to do it myself, I have to get a Torx-25, Torx-30 and rivet puller and disassemble the entire front end.

Some of you say DIY on smarts is easy. Maybe, if you've got a garage and a rolling tool box. I have a (small) garage, but not the tools.

What a freaking disaster. I guess I'll pony up the lost time to take it to the stealership, pay the money to have the A/C charged - again - and then put the car up for sale. I don't need this headache.
Selling the car. I wouldn't blame you if you did.
I thought it strange that the dealership had to do a AC flush and refill on such new car (2015).
Not everyone wants to work on their cars or has the space, tools ,time, or skill. Some on this board don't understand that.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
I do have quite an extensive assortment of tools, but no garage, or even a driveway. All my repairs are done sitting at the curb on a dead end street, or borrowing space at a neighbors. Smarts are not the easiest cars to work on and not for everyone. But then neither is a Land Rover or a Chevy for that matter. Newer cars require a scanner to get the codes from the computer to find out which of a bunch of sensors are causing the problem. The days of changing points and plugs every few thousand miles are long gone (thank goodness)

If you are not happy with your car, then you should sell it and get something you enjoy. Life is too short.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I took the car to the stealer this morning. They provided an Uber ride home so I didn't have to wait in the lounge. Whether that's a good thing or not, I'm not sure at this point. Fortunately, I can work from home (and I have my ICE car, anyway). They'll Uber me back when the car has been seen and diagnosed.

So, I'm left with a conundrum. It's probable (since every time I go to a repair shop, the bill is usually high) that this will be another cost on a car I've had only 15 months, and for which I've already spent nearly $2K to "make right."

The fact that there is only one place locally that services these cars is to me the biggest down side.

On the up side, I saw two smarts coming in for service while I was waiting for my Uber. I guess that means I'll still have one place to go.

I hate being held hostage.

·
Registered
333 Posts

The days of tinkering on cars with an adjustable wrench and screwdriver are long long gone. Today's vehicles require not only a complete set of the basic tools, but often specialized tools too. And it is only getting more so with the new models.

My general philosophy used to be that if I could buy the special tool for the shop's price to repair, I would do so. Now I do it because I prefer to work on my own vehicles so that it is done right... and if not, I know exactly who to blame. I too don't like being held hostage for repairs.

I wouldn't say working on the smart is easy... tight quarters can make an otherwise easy job difficult... but hopefully not impossible. Scraped knuckles are sometimes par for the course. As I get older, I find some of the contortions required are more difficult than they used to be. :(

I can vouch for this manifold set fitting into the smart's cavity and onto the fill ports with no disassembly required... and it is cheaper than what the dealer charged you for the visit.
https://www.amazon.com/Mastercool-98661-PRO-R134A-Manifold-Gauge/dp/B00829QKL4

~toaster

·
Registered
333 Posts
P.S.

I didn't own a set of E-torx sockets before getting my smart, but quickly realized that I'd need them. Then when I couldn't get the E-torx sockets into some tight quarters, I bought the E-torx wrenches. Well worth the investment.

~toaster

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
OK, so maybe I won't sell it after all. :)

The stealership just called and told me they had good news.

They found a faulty evaporator relay.

It's under warranty.

I should be able to pick up my car tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
P.S.

I didn't own a set of E-torx sockets before getting my smart, but quickly realized that I'd need them. Then when I couldn't get the E-torx sockets into some tight quarters, I bought the E-torx wrenches. Well worth the investment.

~toaster

My frustration level increased dramatically when I watched a YouTube video on how to reach the A/C low pressure valve on a smart fortwo.

First, begin by removing the entire front end. This requires unfastening the side rail, removing the retaining clips, then undoing the "rivets" with a Torx wrench. Do this on both sides. Then, move the side rail back, unfasten the wheel well connectors... you get the idea.

This, just to reach the A/C low pressure valve. Which is what I wanted to do.

In the proper shop, with the proper tools (and experience, I daresay), this is probably a 30 minute job. For me, it's at least half a day. Longer, if I break/strip something.

All to get to the A/C low pressure valve.

No, thanks.

As I wrote above, that wouldn't have done any good, as the problem wasn't low refrigerant, but a faulty relay, a problem that I (once again) don't have the tools or ability to determine.

But it's being repaired, and my costs - if any - will be minimal. So, I'm less agitated and frustrated than I was earlier.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
For the AC refill, it makes sense that the low pressure side is smaller than the high pressure side. This way one can not possibly attach such cans to the high pressure side, risking explosion.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Why back in 2012 our '08 Passion quit blowing cold air. Brought it in to the Smart dealer who diagnosed it a a small leak in the evaporator housing and quoted $1250.00 to repair, ya right. Bought the A/C PRO kit with the 24" fill tube, recharged and it's been blowing cold air ever since, 6 years. I don't remember having any hookup problems, but I have smallish hands and arms.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
The ongoing saga...

I took my smart into the dealer on Tuesday and they informed me that an evaporator relay was faulty, and they'd repair it under warranty. On Thursday, I got a call saying an evaporator switch also needed to be replaced. Also under warranty.

Got a call on Friday - the wrong part had been delivered, so back to get another. It won't be until Monday until the car is ready, they say.

I have a ticket to see Jeff Beck Monday night. If they call late to tell me the car is ready, it won't be until Tuesday that I get it.

Since I'm not paying for the repairs OR the storage, I'm not complaining.

But I have to say I'm beginning to believe that a one-day trip for service is not possible.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I'm sorry to keep posting on this thread, but I just got a call from my service advisor. "In about half an hour, my tech is going to install the part on your car. It will probably be late when it's done. I'd like to keep it until tomorrow to check it out and make sure everything is working."

Okay, that actually works for me, as I have a concert I'm attending tonight and couldn't pick up the car until tomorrow, anyway.

Given that it's being repaired under warranty, I expect to pay -maybe- for "shop tools" and expenses.

But holy smoke! I took it in LAST Tuesday. It will be a full week in the shop to repair an A/C unit. I was beginning to think I wouldn't have it while the weather is still hot!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.