Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Car Hood Vehicle

I have swapped on a set of Team Dynamics Silver Smartie wheels 16x6 front and 16x7.5 rear. they were purchased used with 195/45 16 and 215/40 16 Yokohama S Drive tires. Tires look good enough with decent tread left but are aged with some dry rot signs. Since the wheels do not have TPMS units, and the rear wheel looks too small in the rear wheel well and I dont like the ride comfort compared to the 15 inch Kumho set the are replacing, its time for tires.
I ordered the tpms units and because the tires have to come off anyway to install them, I went ahead and ordered some tires. Accelera PHI R 205/45 16 front 215/45 16 rear.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

I must say that the Allutec Grip 3 wheels 15x5 front and 15x6 rear with 185/55 15 and 205/50 15 Kumho Ecsta PS-31 tires were a very sturdy, comfortable and great grip set. I put about 23,000 miles on the tires the fronts still have a good deal of life left but the rear 2 are just about done. They started with the 2021 SmartBall Run from NYC to California and ended with a trip from NYC to Tennessee for two hard driving days at the infamous Tail of the Dragon and surrounding roads. I fully enjoyed the Kumho tires and intend to put 225/45 15's on the rear when the Allutec Grip 3 wheels return to the car possibly in a different color. The comfort was related to 4 inch side walls front and rear. The new 16 inch set with the intended wheels will have 3.6 and 3.8 inch sidewalls. Hopefully the the shorter sidewall will not be too less comfortable.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok tires being fitted.. the 215/45 I feel have no issue at all. Look at the front 205/45 ..... I don't know ... Certainly wishful thinking lol.. Rub they may but I can move the fender so unless it's ridiculous it will or should or wishing hoping praying for it to work out lol..... Laughing C my friend. " Here we go ....
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow once again the S Drive tire is being so square is wider that numbers suggest. At at the moment looks like no clearance issues because the PHI-R tires have a much more rounded edge. Driving will tell and with one rear tire to go.. We'll be doing that shortly.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Car

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First thoughts are not what I expected. Small, pedestrian, an the dealer show room tire. It has to sink in that I just ran around a week with the Yokohama S-Drive s on the car. For me the Yokohama S-Drive is the most beautiful Tire to look at ever. That flat square sidewalk makes anything it sits under look trackable. So after driving and getting not even close to a rub up front. 205/45 16 on a 16x6 Team Dynamics Smarties wheel on my stock suspension is an easy fit. It fills up the wheel well perfect. As well as the 185/55 15 Kumho Ecsta PS-31on the Allutec Grip Three 15x5 inch wheel did. The Team Dynamics wheel off sets the wheel further in making the wider 205/45 tire not closer to the outer lip than the 185/55 tire. So the fit from the side looks the same but the 205 is wider. Because of it's rounder edge the Accelera PHI-R does not look wider. So in the front not looking like an S-Dive is the con. With the oris being that is a 205/45 16 up there with a 3.6 inch side wall. And cleaned up it's look nice and that it gives it a could have been factory look that's is a plus too. Moving to the back when I tell you the 215/45 16 Yokohama S-Drive on the rear of the Smart looked wide. That would be WWWide. Now I did experience this before when during the 2019 One Lap of America tour while running 195/40 17 tires on Genius Darwin 17x6 wheels my rear tires needed replacement. The S-Drives we're already discontinued and no shops near the Road America complex had 195/40's I went with 205/40 17 Hankook Vents 2 tires in the rear. On the car the 195/40 S-Drives sat wider because of that flat square shape. But I am Shocked at who less wide the 215/45 16 Accelera PH-R tires look on the ground than the 215/40 16 S-Drives. Fitment.... Not even close to rubbing anything but the road. It fills up the wheel well better, there is still room but I would get Mr tire to fill the wheel well I would lower the rear to close the gap. No I will not do that as I love the rake of my car so if I lowered it all around to keep the stance the same I would rub up front. I for sure will but swapping out for a 225/40 in the rear of the lotto fairy favors me. So the con in the rear is again, my eye remembers the S-Drive. For now the pro is ... It's done it's back there.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Now all the bolt covers are one. The cute valve stem covers in place. The Smart Logo stickers are on the center caps. Wheels wiped of again and the tires are all shined up. It's a good non aggressive looking tire set and wheel combination. I have aired them down to 31 lbs in the front and 32 lbs in the rear. Let's go drive a little and see if the new TPMS units wake up I have had the tire light on the dash all week. And managed not to electrical tape it away. Mix reviews on how long it may take to pair these units. From right away to never lol. As I walk to the car final though on the look. If I had of when straight from the Kumho Grip 3 tire/wheel set this would be a side wall conversation. As the 4 inch side wall all around did give My Smart a muscled look backed up by the darker gray wheels the car looked more like it meant business. The look now on the bright silver Team Dynamics and 3.6 front and 3.8 rear side walled set up looks more friendly. Same size dogs a Golden Retriever and a Rottweiler, sitting panting patiently waiting for their owner to come out of the store. One you pet and one you cross the street. Today my Smart looks more like you could pet it.
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts