Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Youtube video

2nd video

I guess It from the fan.
As you can see on 2nd video,
When I turn on the fan - noise come from the front
When I turn off the fan - not any noise.
(A/C off)

But I have no idea,
Why the noise from the fan,
only turn off A/C condition?
Turn on A/C, no sound from fan.

————————————————————-

Hello.
I need some help for my 451coup.

This morning I heard some noise when acceleration.
It was the first time that I hear.

I could hear the noise continuous when I step on the acceleration.

Do you guys have a similar experience?
Or any idea where the noise from?
Where do you think I should check?

If you could,
Please check the noise on youtube video.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry, Not enough of a sound clip to make a call. Where is the noise coming from, front, rear of the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. Sorry, Not enough of a sound clip to make a call. Where is the noise coming from, front, rear of the car?
Thank you for reply. I guess it from front, but I’m not sure. I’ll try to find with friend and record more longer.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
I’m just guessing, on my first OEM brake pads and rotors. About 10 minutes into the drive, on the highway. I’d hear this sing noise from the front of the car. I’d hit the brakes, the noise would stop. A couple more miles down the road, the singing would start again. Hit the brakes, it would stop. The smart car service manager, told me the metallic pads, into the grooved rotors. We’re playing like a record player. Sounded like birdie singing. New pads, turned the rotors, fixed the singing issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m just guessing, on my first OEM brake pads and rotors. About 10 minutes into the drive, on the highway. I’d hear this sing noise from the front of the car. I’d hit the brakes, the noise would stop. A couple more miles down the road, the singing would start again. Hit the brakes, it would stop. The smart car service manager, told me the metallic pads, into the grooved rotors. We’re playing like a record player. Sounded like birdie singing. New pads, turned the rotors, fixed the singing issue.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
But I guess in my case, the noise come from the fan.
I just wonder why the noise come only A/C off condition.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If the high-pitch squeal is the noise you are referring to, I have a few ideas:

- check all the brakes for a bracket, wear telltale or adjustment issue that’s rubbing on a rotor or drum. If this is the case, applying the brakes might temporarily make the sound go away, be reduced or change pitch.

- check the wheel bearings. A dry bearing can cause a squeal like that. Use caution because the short wheelbase of our Smarts can be misleading. I replaced both front bearings and was shocked the noise was still there. The problem sounded like the fronts, but it was the rear bearings that were noisy. If the bearings are starting to go, you may find that the sound changes/stops when turning left or right.

For both, YMMV. Just my 2 cents…

1 - 8 of 8 Posts