Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Smart Fortwo ED
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. I am new to the forum after having recently purchased a 2014 ED. Acquainting myself with the car, I am wondering where to find the date code on the 12V accessory battery? I live in a warm climate, with relatively low humidity. My understanding is that the batteries might need to be replaced every four years or so. I don't see a sticker on the top of the battery, or any numbers "burned in" to the plastic case. Will I have to remove the battery to find the date code?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
If the name on the battery doesn’t give a clue if it was aftermarket and replaced since the car was built, assume that the battery was installed when the car was produced. Look at the sticker on driver side door jam for month and year of production.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If the battery is Mercedes-Benz brand, then your local M-B dealer should be able to look up work done by any other dealer. I'm in the same boat as 50windsor, very brand new looking M-B battery in my 2013 ED. I plan to visit the dealer and ask for a printout of prior service to make sure. Access is so poor, it wouldn't surprise me if the previous owner took it to the dealer for replacement. Voltage on mine reads 12.41 V which also seems OK.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't mean to hijack 50windsor's original post, but my experience may be of interest. As suggested by MB_DNA and the local dealer's records, the battery in my 2013 was original equipment. I don't want to get stuck somewhere because I tried to squeeze an extra year out of my battery so I went to AutoZone and picked up what they had available. It's an AC Delco with a pitifully short 18 month warranty(!), price was $140 but you get $18 back when you return with the old battery. The size is slightly larger than the original, but with a little bending of the bracket it fits fine. Both batteries can be vented from either end, so be sure to plug up the positive end vent hole before installing the battery - ask me how I know :-(
There is absolutely no date code that I can find on the original battery, but the smart brand logo may be a hint that it's OEM if you had any doubt. The original red plastic cover for the positive terminal fits the new battery fine.
battery_comparison.jpg

battery_bracket.jpg

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,910 Posts
There may be a clue in your picture of the original OEM smart battery as the negative post appears to read 0413 - April 2013?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts