Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using my 2009 Cabrio for a toad and would like to use a brake buddy. My accessory plug is dead when the key is off. Can I wire it to be hot all the time? Where do I reattach the wires to make this happen?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Toad? Brake buddy?

Anyway, I guess you could skip the factory wiring and run it straight to the battery under the passenger's carpet. Just don't forget a fuse!

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I have been using my 2009 Cabrio for a toad and would like to use a brake buddy. My accessory plug is dead when the key is off. Can I wire it to be hot all the time? Where do I reattach the wires to make this happen?
A brake buddy is not really needed for the smart, but IF you're determined to use one, I would suggest you wire a new outlet directly to the battery. I used a 10 amp fuse on mine :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
The OE battery in smart cars is not known for heavy duty use. The OP runs the risk of a dead battery after a long trip of towing the smart. I recommend running a charge line from the motorhome. If the OP has a 4-wire towing setup for the tail lights on the smart, convert it to a 7-wire setup and use 2 of the the extra wires to run 12V from the MH to the brake buddy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts