Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three or four compleatly unrealistic ideas every day. Here's one of them now...

I want live LCD body panels with a control inside that lets me select various colors or graphics to show on the surface of the panels.

Chrome
Stainless
Diamond Steel (like truck bumpers)
Brick
Stone
Log
Bamboo Mat
Rabbit Fur
Sheep’s Wool
Bear Skin (head on?)
Fish Scales
Dragon Scales
Bio/Muscles
Denim
Leather
Alligator
Rattlesnake
Wood grain
<TV>
<VIDEO INPUT>
<SLIDE SHOW>
<COLOR STROBE>

While we're at it, I also want an alarm system that incorporates the launching of multiple aerial pyrotechnical devices to alert the authorities and the detonation of paint-bombs for easy perpetrator identification.

·
Super Moderator
28,794 Posts
Remember, you have to take the meds every day. :D

Somewhat seriously, and not being a technical geek, how hard would it be to take the material used for laptop screens and graft that on to the panels? At that point you'd need a small computer to drive the screens and a program to provide the graphics. Would be too cool if somebody could do it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
OK. So now combine foregoing with some kind of video camera system, to project view of scene behind car onto car's bodywork.

Voila! Instant, low-cost version of Romulan Cloaking Device...

Notes to self:
  • Investigate potential safety issues
  • Reserve booth at next Trekkie Convention
  • Take more meds

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Some good ideas there....

I have three or four compleatly unrealistic ideas every day. Here's one of them now...

I want live LCD body panels with a control inside that lets me select various colors or graphics to show on the surface of the panels.

Chrome
Stainless
Brick
Stone
Log
Bamboo Mat
Rabbit Fur
Sheep’s Wool
Bear Skin (head on?)
Fish Scales
Dragon Scales
Bio/Muscles
Denim
Leather
Alligator
Rattlesnake
Wood grain
<TV>
<VIDEO INPUT>
<SLIDE SHOW>
<COLOR STROBE>

While we're at it, I also want an alarm system that incorporates the launching of multiple aerial pyrotechnical devices to alert the authorities and the detonation of paint-bombs for easy perpetrator identification.
I like the paint bombs idea....but like the die they use on bundles of currency that bursts when stolen from a bank. Great Idea, snakefarm! How about a swivel mounted minigun option for the cabriolet to use in the inner cities against the bad guys? That would keep them under control.....:eek:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Cool ideas! But it should only work when the smart car is turned off and parked. We'll get enough people gawking at us as it is! Can you imagine driving your smartie in "Live Body Panel Mode" while the drivers of every car around you dial their cell phones to tell a friend about your car?
BOOM! CRASH! BANG! CRUNCH! Your smartie would be the last car standing! At least parked it would be so surrounded by pedestrians no one in a car could see it. :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
There may also be local laws preventing having such an active display on a vehicle. Think of the distraction it can cause with drivers watching your car! Locally, I have seen the city ban several of the active displays on businesses at some locations due to them distracting drivers too much instead of keeping their eyes on the road. They have to keep the signs activity low (no rapid flashing of color changes, etc).

Tom

·
Banned
33 Posts

Chrome
Stainless
Brick
Stone
Log
Bamboo Mat
Rabbit Fur
Sheep’s Wool
Bear Skin (head on?)
Fish Scales
Dragon Scales
Bio/Muscles
Denim
Leather
Alligator
Rattlesnake
Wood grain
<TV>
<VIDEO INPUT>
<SLIDE SHOW>
<COLOR STROBE>

We'll as far as laws about graphics on cars or trucks there are none at this time. I saw a Box truck in Orlando that had full side LCD panels. Boy was it bright. You could see it a mile away but was hard to read.

The military is developing camo based on LCD technology and cameras. Looks promising making a vehicle invisible.

As far as graphics go for you smart, there here now. Check them out at SmartCarSkinz.com Snake, Animal hides, Monster Scales, Wood Grain, Stone, Metal and more.

DaveB

·
Banned
629 Posts
We'll as far as laws about graphics on cars or trucks there are none at this time.
California Vehicle Code section 24003 would tend to disagree with you.

I saw a Box truck in Orlando that had full side LCD panels. Boy was it bright. You could see it a mile away but was hard to read.
Florida Vehicle Code Section 316.241 would be what that vehicle would get a citation for violating.

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think something like this:

is more what snakefarm had in mind.

I do like the idea of adding four web-cams, one on each side and one on the front and rear, each projecting on the opposite side the scene beyond the external person's reference point. The only question; can you fire photon torpedoes while cloaked? :eek:

tm :smartje.rd.zw:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Fired a request to Smart to find out if we can get clear panels to use as a core to some of the wacky idea's being thought up.
Looking into holographic printing, appears the biggest holographic printer is able to produce 1m x 1m panels, though at what cost I don't know at this time. Also, not sure what Holograms I'd get, as that'd also add to the cost drastically, but perhaps a hologram of a V8 engine to use as a backmask in the front panel that covers the windscreen washer fluid, make it look like it's got a bit of oomph hidden underneath after all. Probably off the scale for cost, but as it'd not be lit up at night, might not be a problem under the aforementioned codes.

Do love the idea of a webcam on once side to then project to the other side, with the tridiron frame, you've almost got a Bird of Prey outline structure as it is, just need to cloak the rest of the car.

·
Registered
351 Posts
LCD Panels

Chrome
Stainless
Brick
Stone
Log
Bamboo Mat
Rabbit Fur
Sheep’s Wool
Bear Skin (head on?)
Fish Scales
Dragon Scales
Bio/Muscles
Denim
Leather
Alligator
Rattlesnake
Wood grain
<TV>
<VIDEO INPUT>
<SLIDE SHOW>
<COLOR STROBE>

Sounds like you get bored as easily as I do! This would be INCREDIBLE! Something for you young ones to work on. Great invention, if it can work. And why not? They have active windows in some houses that don't need shades! with a flick of a switch they go from clear to frosted. Seems like it would be the same general principle.

OK. I'll go take MY meds now!

Doenut

·
Registered
280 Posts
. . . perhaps a hologram of a V8 engine to use as a backmask in the front panel that covers the windscreen . . .

Probably off the scale for cost . . .
Probably true, but the MadWrapper's price point is prohibitively high as well, and that's just for plain wraps. Just my $0.02 worth.

tm

·
Registered
43 Posts
Reply:
Dear smart Enthusiast Unfortunately at this time smart USA does not offer Clear body panels for the smart fortwo vehicle. If you have any other questions or concerns, please contact us via email or by phone at 1.800.smartusa. Thank you for your interest in smart USA. You will be hearing from us soon! Michelle Fenner Customer Service 1.800.smartusa smart USA - open your mind to the car that challenges the status quo

Oh well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts