Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have actual HP increase figures on aftermarket exhausts
almost every ad I see for them ,they all claim an increase in HP but no figures given.
is there an actual increase

cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to SCoA! :)

There's a reason they don't show any actual numbers.....
thanks

what is the reason , I understand there is going to be variations based on fuel ,altitude etc
but it seems they all make a claim but with no support, at least with motorbikes it is not uncommon for the exhaust co to list dyno charts so you get a semblance of what to expect.

·
17,478 Posts
For a normal run of the mill catback exhaust, they advertise a boost of like 3 bhp...which I bet is within the margin of error for many Dynos.

Reactions: corbo

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
OEM or aftermarket not a whole lot of "tuning" that can be done with such a short run of pipe and muffler on a 3-banger?

Ran an aftermarket exhaust on our MY08 cabrio. Sounded like it went faster but took it off recently and went back to stock, noted no difference?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
This comes up every few months, You can put a few goodies on to make it sound different but most of the time it does not give you much of a difference in performance. The pedal remapping does make a bit of difference on the acceleration and feel of the car, takes out the delay during shifting, but won't make any difference in MPG or track times. Smart has done a good job of getting the best performance and economy out of these little guys.

The only exception is if you want to spend a LOT of money and add a turbo, but that involves an additional computer and a lot of time getting it right, for a minimal gain in performance. just drive it and enjoy!!

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts

Jetfuel.....:coffee:

Didn't mean to rain on your parade, but for the AVERAGE driver, they will most likely not use the additional torque and you will admit that unless you do most of the work yourself, or have connections, it can be expensive

:shrug:

·
Registered
9,044 Posts
...my "en fuego" friend...I didn't say anything about driving styles or $$$ ....just pointing out the minimal gains in performance....

Jetfuel....stay safe...have a great Thanksgiving and hope to see you guys soon...

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Me thinks that jimvw57 may have never had the 451 "hair dryer" experience?

If Barnes was still offering the TURBO mod, I'd be writing the check . . . :burnout:

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
ha yeaah, right had a 1963 Corvair spyder and a 1966 spyder, both with turbos or vacuum cleaners as we called them. The 63 went from 95hp to 150hp, the 66 was a 180 hp, both with a 6 cylinder motors. Both would push you back in the seat!

As the wife pointed out, they too were rear engine cars and I had quite a few of them..

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
ha yeaah, right had a 1963 Corvair spyder and a 1966 spyder, both with turbos or vacuum cleaners as we called them. The 63 went from 95hp to 150hp, the 66 was a 180 hp, both with a 6 cylinder motors.
'63/'66 Corvair (Corvette + Bel Air) "vacuum cleaner" vs. '08 smart 451 "hair dryer" . . .

Dylan may have said it best The Times, They are a-changin'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts