Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No kidding.

I know lots of us run around preaching to upgrade to the newest and the latest shift programming. And I agree that the newer shift programming offers quicker shifts. There's no doubt about that.

However! My '09 BRABUS has the original shift programming. I never updated it. My '09 Pure has the newest shift programming, done after I had it updated.

I like them both, the Pure shifting faster. But I've noticed that my '09 BRABUS has the better shifting performance if one were racing. There's no doubt about that. It sticks its gear to redline much more easily and forces you to work the engine through its powerband, while the newer shift programming is less focused on racing and more focused on upshifting but doing so as quickly as possible for its design. The BRABUS is more patient and sticks to its gear longer and offers more pedal travel distance within each gear.

My Pure is technically faster than my BRABUS in straight line racing, I attribute that to the heavier cabriolet equipment and larger 17" wheels in the BRABUS and lighter everything in my Pure. But once up to speed the BRABUS has the better shifting performance because it works the gearbox more like a human being racing with a stickshift car.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read in many early reports in 2008-2009, the Brabus would have 20% faster shifting than the Pure/Passion. I have never been able to confirm that as a fact, though.
I'll check with Service to see if there is a BRABUS specific or Vin # specific shift update. If so, I'll try it out. As it stands though, the current gen smarts definitely shift probably twice as quickly as my '09 BRABUS.

The only thing I notice that is "better" about my BRABUS shifting is that it is better suited for a drag race and for sticking to its current gear while cornering. It allows me to get deep on the throttle for more duration and high rpms, then while backing off I can stick my corner while keeping the rpms up high only to accelerate out of the corner in the same gear. All the other smarts I've tried will shift up almost immediately after backing off the throttle.

One shift program is better for one scenario, the other program is better for most other scenarios. I believe all the early gen smarts were programmed like my BRABUS while in certain situations are an improvement over the current shift pattern.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts