Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can buy a replacement connector and harness for a 2008 clutch actuator? The dealer says there's corrosion...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I hope I'm wrong but I believe the connector is part of the bigger electrical harness that serves the entire engine.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
A replacement harness will need to come from smart new or from a recycler used. The part number has changed a couple of times. It looks like the latest number is A 451 540 16 06 electrical harness transmission.

There are repair connectors available from smart but I don't see one for the trans.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Anyone know where I can buy a replacement connector and harness for a 2008 clutch actuator? The dealer says there's corrosion...

You could try first cleaning the connectors with a contact cleaner, then followup with some dielectric grease to prevent further corrosion. Try to avoid getting the cleaner inside the actuator body, as it could wash away some of its lube. Check some of the products made by CRC at your local auto parts store.

Alternatively, I would expect the connector uses standard MB pins. As such, assuming sufficient cable length, the old pins can be cut off and new ones crimped on. This will require the correct crimp tool, do not attempt this with a simple pliers-type crimper - or you will have problems. Additionally, a pin-extractor may be necessary to remove the old pins from the connector body, but sometimes various probes can work.

There may be some individual seals on each wire, just slide them back a bit on the wire before cutting the old pin off. These are reusable.

An independent MB repair shop should be able to handle this job for you if you do not feel up to the task.

~toaster

1 - 4 of 4 Posts