Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, looks like we are going to work out a deal for a second smart tomorrow afternoon:)

Janice got the itch when we were at the Midwest Rally and decided that she just has to have a cabrio, so tomorrow we are going to work out a deal on a used one. Won't have it until next week since they have to get it from another dealer, but our smart family looks to be growing! Can't wait to see them parked next to each other in the garage:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well we had a little setback today. The smart dealer in Madison won't sell their used vehicle to the dealer here in Peoria. So if we want it we are going to have to go up there and buy it from them. Only a 4 hour drive, but our schedules are crazy at the moment.

So yeah. Of course she is picky, so it's this one or go through Carmax, which would mean at least 2 trips to Chicago.

Can't wait to be done with this car deal. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, after about 6 phone conversations with Madison, we are nowhere. While we look like we will get a favorable deal...

Even with me volunteering to give them a $1000.00 deposit, they refuse to hold the car for 10 days until we can get there. They offered to hold it for 2 days with the deposit, otherwise "hopefully it will still be here when you are ready to come up."

So: won't sell it to another dealer and are really not trying to sell it to me.

It's deals like this that make me consider a Fiat convertible. I sold cars for 5 years for one of the largest volume dealers in Illinois. I know what can be done when you WANT to sell a car. No wonder there aren't more smarts on the road.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you tried one of the smart centres in Illinois?
I've looked at every one within 500 miles. She wants black, low miles, heated seats. Madison is the only thing even close. I'm getting to the point where I am ready to tell her no black, buy something else, and do a panel swap. lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well... Had a nice conversation with the sales manager at the Madison smart Center today. Janice and I pulled some strings at our respective jobs and are going to Madison Thursday evening.

The sales manager says the car is marked as sold and will be clean and gassed waiting for our arrival. So Hopefully early Friday morning(we won't get back home until well after midnight) I'll be able to officially announce our new addition. Lol

·
Registered
185 Posts
Cool. Can't wait to see the twosome.

My wife is French, and she's always enjoyed being a passenger in our Smart. Several times now she's said a Smart would suffice for her, too. She drives our BMW X3.

Owning a Smart teaches you something about what actually suffices in the way of a car.

I could see us doing what you're doing.

Looking forward to your reports.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And we got the car!

It turned out to be a great experience. I have to give a huge thanks to Tim and Tony(who went to the Midwest smart Rally) for all their help. Everything went buttery smooth once we got to the dealership, and we were in and out and back on the road in under an hour.

Big thanks to everyone at the Madison smart Center!

Janice is a happy girl! And I'm happy too, cuz now we have more room in the garage. LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts