Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished installing additional 12V socket. I'm using Garmin GPS on the driver side, so running power cords across the dash was unacceptable.

Finished Install

12V socket I got from Bass Pro Shop. This one is expensive marine grade socket (around $22) and also very hard to install (with this one you will need to get your hand behind the dash to screw the back plate/ring to keep it in place). I removed part of the dash to install this one.
Next day I stopped at Radio Shack and found another type of 12V sockets, they are around $7 and they just pop in the hole, so all you need is drill a hole, slide wires inside and pop the socket in. If I found them earlier, I would definitely got the one from Radio Shack.

This is the drill bit I used.

There is ground point, on the driver side (you will be able to see it if you look under the dash). BLACK wire is the GROUND wire for the socket. You will need 10mm wrench.

POSITIVE (+) wire from the socket with 15A fuse. I used heat shrink for nice look.

Here is look of the fuse block (driver side / under dash)
This one is 12V constant power (even when ignition is off), but it can be changed to switched.

This ones will go in the Glove box: 120V socket, USB Charging Port, USB IPod controls for my Pioneer, AUX IN, and additional 12V socket.

Good Luck.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

CUBE

·
Registered
861 Posts
looks good, that's a great spot for an extra outlet, I dont like the placement of the stock one, if you have a longer socket it stick out and you cant use both your cup holders. would be nice if it had a couple more, my Toyota matrix has one in the armrest plus a regular wall outlet on the dash. I use that for plugging in my Blender!

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I would really like to install a 12VDC outlet in the cargo area without festooning wiring from forward to aft. I often carry a small, cooler-size Waeco thermo-electric cooler/heater box (adjustble from +34°F to +143°F). For a countryside picnic, it can do anything (one thing at a time) from very cold beer to perfectly done lamb chops and anything in between.

Presently I use an intermediate sensor that will shut-down the box if it draws the 12VDC buss down to 10.5VDC.

Hope I can find a way to make it neatly happen.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Great post!

I'm probably going to keep the stock socket as my only power point, and I am planning on hard wiring in a mini USB drop for my GPS and running it up towards the windshield (I like mine centered and at the base of the windshield).

These pics are definitely going to come in handy on where to wire it - thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice addition.

Can I just confirm something..?

Page 283 of the manual: [Won't let me link to it]

The "Backup Fuse Slots" R1-R9 are powered?? And ready to be plugged into?

[Your 8th picture above... again, won't let me add a pic into my post]

No more splicing?!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice addition.

Can I just confirm something..?

Page 283 of the manual: [Won't let me link to it]

The "Backup Fuse Slots" R1-R9 are powered?? And ready to be plugged into?

[Your 8th picture above... again, won't let me add a pic into my post]

No more splicing?!

I just used electrical tester, so no splicing.

CUBE

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is exactly the same socket I have fitted to mine, must be Chinese.
This is one of the things I will be adding to my site soon, mine is in the glove box.
Kane,
everything is Chinese right now....:)
Will put one in the glove box next week along with 120V socket. My USB ports already installed. My car is on the jacks right now till Monday (wheels at the powdercoater shop), so I don't want to work inside the car. But maybe while the wheels are off, I will paint the calipers and drums.......

CUBE

·
Registered
49 Posts
I gave your mod a try except I used the Radio Shack outlet you talked about and I put in in the right cubby instead. I needed it for my Griffin Tuneflex ipod accessory. The default 12V outlet is in a bad place for the Tuneflex cause it blocks the cup holders and it has a tendency to tilt side to side.

I took out the radio so that I could check out the area behind the right cubby before I started cutting. It's a little tougher to get at without the right tools but worth it for me.

I couldn't be happier. Thanks for the great idea.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nah, I've got normal fingers. No watchmaking for me. :) There's plenty of space back and it's easier to get to if you take out the radio.

Drilling the hole I just used a long 1" diameter spade bit and it could reach back there. Then I just had to use a long rattail file to open it up a tad more. Then I used some sandpaper on a wood dowel to clean it up. I just had to find the right tools for the job. If I could have fit a drill motor with a step bit back there I would have but it work out great the way I did it.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I gave your mod a try except I used the Radio Shack outlet you talked about and I put in in the right cubby instead. I needed it for my Griffin Tuneflex ipod accessory. The default 12V outlet is in a bad place for the Tuneflex cause it blocks the cup holders and it has a tendency to tilt side to side.

I took out the radio so that I could check out the area behind the right cubby before I started cutting. It's a little tougher to get at without the right tools but worth it for me.

I couldn't be happier. Thanks for the great idea.

Hey,

I'm glad it worked for you. I agree with you that the factory location is not very convinient. Charging cables always get in the way, especially if you have drinks in cupholders.

CUBE

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
I just finished installing an additional outlet on each side of the steering column. Thanks for Cube for the DIY and Babybenz for the phone support. I'd post pics but for some reason I can't get them to upload.

I also ran an Aux cable across the top of the AC unit from the dash to the right cubby next to the steering wheel for use with the Ipod charger I'll be using. The cover of the AC unit/radio has plenty of room to run the cable and there are 2 small openings on either side so no drilling is requiered.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just finished installing an additional outlet on each side of the steering column. Thanks for Cube for the DIY and Babybenz for the phone support. I'd post pics but for some reason I can't get them to upload.

I also ran an Aux cable across the top of the AC unit from the dash to the right cubby next to the steering wheel for use with the Ipod charger I'll be using. The cover of the AC unit/radio has plenty of room to run the cable and there are 2 small openings on either side so no drilling is requiered.
Here are Bill's pictures:

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's what I did as well. Since I had the radio out anyway I ran the aux cable under the cover.

Great job!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts