Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Cube - Thank You..

Cube,

This was a simple and useful mod that is well within the reach of most owners. I put in the Radio Shack outlet this weekend ($7) and it took about 15 minutes. Your photos and description made the job very easy, Thanks!

I used the same location and fished the wires without removing any dash parts. For anyone else doing this, do the job nicely, get good crimp on connectors. I used a 1 1/8" spade bit (carefully), worked like a charm. So nice to have an outlet in a useful spot!

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
Does the wiring usually come with it? What is the drill bit called? How many can you have on the switched fuse? What do you use to shrink the heat shrink?

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Does the wiring usually come with it? What is the drill bit called? How many can you have on the switched fuse? What do you use to shrink the heat shrink?

Yes

We used to call it a spade bit but I'm sure there are other names for it... I found one at Lowes.

One per slot... I have mine on the unswitched fuses though...

Heat gun... or a lighter or blow torch if you have to... yes I'm kidding....

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
Yes

We used to call it a spade bit but I'm sure there are other names for it... I found one at Lowes.

One per slot... I have mine on the unswitched fuses though...

Heat gun... or a lighter or blow torch if you have to... yes I'm kidding....
Man I wished you lived here. I dont have a good drill. Battery powered one sucks, and my plug in only works some of the time, smokes when it does, and uses an outlet 50 ft from my car at the shortest (apartments sux)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
You don't have to use a special drill. I just used traced the cut out and dremeled it out, tested it, and cut a little more until it fit fine :) Wiring comes with it.
Second that. Dremel is one way to do it.
Jediknight, here is cordless Dremel for $40 at Target.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/188-2930205-9007351?ASIN=B0000302Y2&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B0000302Y2|Dremel_7.2V_Cordless_Multipro_50pc._Rotary_Tool&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B0000302Y2&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

Will work perfect for this and many more future projects. :)

CUBE

·
Registered
31 Posts
Another good spot for 12 v.

looks good, that's a great spot for an extra outlet, I dont like the placement of the stock one, if you have a longer socket it stick out and you cant use both your cup holders. would be nice if it had a couple more, my Toyota matrix has one in the armrest plus a regular wall outlet on the dash. I use that for plugging in my Blender!
I placed two outlets inside the glove compartment.On the back wall. I allows me to power an XM tiny receiver that feeds right thru the aux input inside the glove compartment. I only have to open the door to change the channels. turn on and off automatically.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would like to give a big "thanks" to Cubefx for the excellent instructions and photos. Last week I installed the extra outlet in both Smarts - it was a piece of cake with this thread. I did however use the Radio Shack outlet as advised and it was easy. The instructions call for a 1 3/32" drill bit. There 'ain't no such critter'. I used a 1 1/8" and all went well. Took about 20 minutes for 1st install and 10 minutes for 2nd. Thanks again Cube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wish one of you Car Guru guys lived near me =( I have never done anything on a car, I'm a computer and gadget nerd ... I would love an extra socket for my TomTom to plug into, and I saw a lightbar mod that looked fun too.

How hard is this really to do? If it's in an unswitched fuse port, will it drain the battery when the car is off andthe TomTom is unplugged (dumb question..)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Not hard at all. You can choose to use switched or unswitched fuse port. If you decided to use unswitched, then make sure that you unplug your GPS if you are leaving your car for extended period of time.

CUBE

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great on the install of the cig socket. I want to do it too, but I can't figure out how to screw the nut on in the back.

Want to give me a hint. Since it on the left of the steering wheel I can not figure how to do it. Ken

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Great on the install of the cig socket. I want to do it too, but I can't figure out how to screw the nut on in the back.

Want to give me a hint. Since it on the left of the steering wheel I can not figure how to do it. Ken

Ken,
To install socket with the nut/ring in the back you would need to disassemble part of the dash or lower SAM unit (fuse box) to get the hand behind. It is WAY easier to use socket from RadioShack, all you need is drill the hole, connect the wires and push it in till it snaps in place.

CUBE

·
Registered
53 Posts
Makes sense now

A with a different type of socket - snap in. It makes it WAY easy. I'll check out RS. To bad because I sell the marine grade 12v socket with the nut on the back. Thanks, ken :sunshine:

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Even if you got the outlet free at work, for the aggravation you'll save, it's worth the $8 to buy the Radio Shack one and just push it in. It really is that simple. (I put one in my glove box.)

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
This the one I put in my smart glove box... Mounts from the front... Make a hole, and mount with two trim screws... Vary solid mount & Good Marine Quality (nylon)...<:))
Conforms perfectly to the back of the panel, and looks factory...<:))
I drilled a hole, and finished sized it with my Dremel tool...
12 Volt Accessory Plug and Socket
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-Volt-Accessory-Plug-and-Socket-for-Boats_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d1Q26psQ3d63QQ_trksidZp3286Q2em7QQcategoryZ50437QQihZ002QQitemZ120360536366

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
mines on the other end, i put it in the rear, the pop out section, with disconnects so it can be removed. i ran a #10 wire directly to the battery, with a 25 amp fuse at the battery. i used the heck out of it for runnning a cord to my tent trailer. i run a dvd, fan, light, shower pump and ? and havent had any problems with the 34/78 battery. by the way, went camping 9 times towing the tent trailer this last season. excellent smart times.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts