Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I put a 3 plug unit on the shelf above the battery. wired it right to the fuse block and hooked it with Velcro to the carpet

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is a great thread for all who want to cut into their smarts, but for the less technical types, a quick and dirty "Dual Outlet Adapter" is available from Harbor Freight. It is item #67073 for $4.99 and gives you two 12v outlets. Just plug and play, no cutting, no wiring, no cutting into the love of your life.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
This is a great thread for all who want to cut into their smarts, but for the less technical types, a quick and dirty "Dual Outlet Adapter" is available from Harbor Freight. It is item #67073 for $4.99 and gives you two 12v outlets. Just plug and play, no cutting, no wiring, no cutting into the love of your life.
True but then you only have two switched outlets. If you wire your own, you can have it switched or unswitched. It really is very easy to do, particularly if you put one inside the glove box.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hi every one ive read a lot of post and what i want to do is to tap in the two wires in the back of the 12 volt outlet the blue/brown and i think the blk one's and use that snap on wire crimp to tap in to the wires with out having to splice into it, and soder it to a usb 12volt plug in...that i will take apart and soder two wires too that will snap in to the 12 volt outlet plug....so i can run a usb power outlet in the back of my glove compartment..right now i plug the 12 volt usb streight into the front of the 12 volt outlet looks kind of crappy....so my question is can i do this..wil it keep me from using the front 12 volt plug in....thanks for all who help.......

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
hi every one ive read a lot of post and what i want to do is to tap in the two wires in the back of the 12 volt outlet the blue/brown and i think the blk one's and use that snap on wire crimp to tap in to the wires with out having to splice into it, and soder it to a usb 12volt plug in...that i will take apart and soder two wires too that will snap in to the 12 volt outlet plug....so i can run a usb power outlet in the back of my glove compartment..right now i plug the 12 volt usb streight into the front of the 12 volt outlet looks kind of crappy....so my question is can i do this..wil it keep me from using the front 12 volt plug in....thanks for all who help.......
I think that might either blow the fuse or only allow you to use one at a time. I have a splinter and that's what happens to me. It only charges one device. Maybe its a fluke though.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
It should work as long as you draw less than the amp ( 5) rated for the plug. you would be better off getting a new wire strait from the fuse box or the battery. I uses a switchable extra plug in in the left side of the SAM. I soldered my wire to one lug of a 25 amt fuse and plugged in the other into the SAM. hooked the ground up to the ground point under the dash ( behind the Sam)

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
I think you'd find it just as easy, and probably easier, to run the wires from your glove compartment straight down to the battery below. Just get an inline fuse from Radio Shack and use it on the wire running to the positive terminal. You could still do it all just using your crimp connectors and you'd only be limited in current by the size fuse you choose. And, it would always be on, unlike the existing 12v outlet.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Anybody know of a combination 12 VDC/ USB port for permanent mounting? I've got an adapter but I'd like to get away from it, plus I want to install it in the "luggage compartment". Drink cup issues with the one up front.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
donnyonee, how'd you run the wiring to the back? Did you go up & over or along the footwell? I intend to add a 5vdc USB type A socket and have a schematic for a voltage regulating circuit, 12vdc unfiltered to 5 vdc filtered. My cell phone uses 5vdc for charging.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
I did this last year, before the Dragon, so that I would have the power I needed for several cameras at once. There is a flat (horizontal) panel under the dash, just to the right of the center tower. I bought a 3-socket unit from a local department store, got rid of the "cigarette lighter" plug on the end (didn't want a splitter, I wanted a permanent, always-on set of plugs), and wired it to the fuse block (picked up the fuse taps from the UK). works great, with the added bonus that now I don't have to try to wiggle my large drink out of the forward cup holder when a plug is sitting right over it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone found a good place to put an outlet in the rear? I want it to charge up our cameras and other electronics so that they are not up front when we are on the road.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Do you have some photos of how you did it?

I don't have that smart anymore so I don't have pics but it's pretty straight forward. Drill a hole in the panel to fit the 12v receptor and just run the wires. I ran the positive under the carpet to the SAM unit at the front of the car so it would have power all the time. Ran the negative to wire to the ground post just along the base of the panel by the rear of the car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
112 Posts
These outlets are very easy to do guys. Just mount the outlet in the location of choice. Run the wires to positive side of battery and neg to neg battery post. I recomment putting a fuse between the battery and the device inline just in case. Simple. I installed one in my glove box and took less than 30 min to do

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just did this mod to my 2009 Passion and it was super easy. The Power Outlet is in the left hand side panel. There's a very convenient body panel screw underneath that worked great for the ground. Power came from the switched side of the SAM. Just run the wire under the carpet.

·
I'll figger this car out
216 Posts
I just did this mod to my 2009 Passion and it was super easy. The Power Outlet is in the left hand side panel. There's a very convenient body panel screw underneath that worked great for the ground. Power came from the switched side of the SAM. Just run the wire under the carpet.
Are there issues with current draw if you use more than one power plug at a time?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts