Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen any discussion on adjusting the Steering Wheel? Yet the manual that came with my 453 prime says on page 65, that there is a way to adjust it? I looked all over mine and can not find the lever that you do the adjustment on most cars. Maybe I am just missing something or am blind.

No where on the Monrony sticker does it mention a adjustable steering wheel and no where that I can find it on things on the prime level of fortwo. Yet on page 65 and on page 22 it shows that function as number 10.

Anybody?:shrug:

Jim

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Disapointing

That would really be helpful to a lot of people. I for one would not have to scrunch down in the seat to see all of the instruments. I still have not tried the seat up or down, so that might solve it.:laugh:

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how close do you sit to the wheel? I'm like 6'2" and can see everything just fine.
I am also 6'2" and the top of the steering wheel runs through the top of the mileage guage. It depends on where the height in your body is. Mine is from my waist up, my inseam is 30". Short legs long body. It's nothing that I can't live with, it would just be better for me to be able to adjust the wheel.

· Registered
452 Posts
There are some regulations in some European nations that require headlight level adjustment. It is very common for Mercedes-Benz to have those but in the US they do not.

However you need to look at the entire deal. If you try and configure a smart Prime in England, for example, you will see that you'll pay extra - a lot in some cases - for things that are standard in America on the Prime such as the height adjustable driver's seat and a car alarm and the more powerful engine we have standard is extra. Also, the warranty is 1 year shorter than in the States.

The car itself is more expensive as well.

The steering wheel adjustment is an option in Europe and I would have hoped here, too.

Like I said... you need to look at the total offer.

· Registered
452 Posts
European retail prices include all taxes, up to 21% in some cases.
Plus road tax and other horrible things and the cars are more expensive not including that.

MB and smart cars sold in the U.S. are less expensive with more standard features and longer warranty coverage than those sold in any other country. We have it pretty good here and should consider ourselves lucky.

· Administrator
30,039 Posts
Hear what you're saying but we're only buying cars in North America. Don't think it would have been a deal breaker for smart to include the steering wheel adjuster in our version of the Comfort Package. :)

· Registered
723 Posts
It probably has more to do with crash/safety standard than anything else.
Americans on average have bigger bellies than most. A wheel tilted down could cause a steering wheel mounted airbag to do serious damage in an accident...but I'm just guessing...:shrug:

· Registered
452 Posts
Hear what you're saying but we're only buying cars in North America. Don't think it would have been a deal breaker for smart to include the steering wheel adjuster in our version of the Comfort Package. :)
There's no such thing as a free lunch. Had the steering wheel adjustment been added to the Prime the seat height adjustment wouldn't have been and I'm sure someone would complain about that. Had both been included someone else would complain about the price being higher.

There's just no winning, is there?

smart shouldn't have put the adjustment lever information in the manual and we'd all be blissfully ignorant.

· Super Moderator
18,145 Posts
MB and smart cars sold in the U.S. are less expensive with more standard features and longer warranty coverage than those sold in any other country. We have it pretty good here and should consider ourselves lucky.
Perhaps? Mercedes-Benz has been ignoring us for years now. We don't get actual Brabus models (everywhere else in the world, a Brabus also gets you moar power!!), we won't and possibly never will get the forfour, and we also missed out on the 451 cdi models. And as of right now, the colour palette for US spec cars is pretty tiny compared to what you can configure in Europe. :shrug:

· Registered
4,682 Posts
The British price, for example, for a 89 HP pure, taxes not included, is $13,250 US. The US price is $14,650 but as you say there are some "options" in the US base price. A fair deal, it seems.

A lot of people who haven't spent time in Europe don't realize that sales taxes are included in posted prices over there, which is why I posted that fact above, on Page 1.

· Registered
4,682 Posts
There's no such thing as a free lunch.

WHAT??? I am outraged!! Never heard that one before :shrug:

I agree with jwight, the adjustable wheel should at least be available as an option over here, and I agree in principle with Neon that the BRABUS should also be sold. The fact that smart/Mercedes doesn't take this market seriously or put much effort into selling here makes me wonder if smart is indeed a French brand after all :D

Reactions: jwight

· Registered
452 Posts
Perhaps? Mercedes-Benz has been ignoring us for years now. We don't get actual Brabus models (everywhere else in the world, a Brabus also gets you moar power!!), we won't and possibly never will get the forfour, and we also missed out on the 451 cdi models. And as of right now, the colour palette for US spec cars is pretty tiny compared to what you can configure in Europe. :shrug:
The short version is because it doesn't make economic sense. At the end of the day, Daimler is a for profit entity. I think they should offer more color choices which wouldn't cost them anything but the rest comes down to how much it costs vs. how much benefit they'd see.

People outside the U.S. can't believe how inexpensive our cars are compared to theirs, the amount of standard features we get, and the longer warranty coverage.

· Registered
452 Posts
Considering the price increase of the 453 over the 451, whatever the tiny added cost of the adjustable steering column, it would have been lost in the ground clutter. :)
Everything costs money... it would have added up. I would have liked to have seen it included as an extra cost option but I have my seat adjusted and can see everything perfectly.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.