Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2008 was totaled in an accident, which I noted in my audio upgrade post as it ended that project. So after over a month without a car I made up my mind about what I needed to do as I just could not drive my wife's truck anymore. I bought a 1977.5 (yes it is a 1/2 year car) Porsche 924. That was back in April, now a little over 2 months and a bit over 1,000 miles later I am still happy with my "new" car. It is going to take a lot of work, but I am enjoying the repairs/modifications and this car fits me as well as the Smart did. I went from a black 42 to a black 24. I like the symmetry in that change. This forum was a great place for me when I had the Smart so I plan to check back in form time to time to see what is going on. If anyone is interested in my new projects, I am the same user name (Sensei Grant) over on the 924.org board.

·
Registered
495 Posts
thats the one with the Audi engine, am I right? the 924 is a side step for Porsche, and the 928 a big side step from the rear engined 911 912 series.. differnt but still Porsche..
my neighbor has a red one.. nice car.. have fun with it!

steveg

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all the readers. To Z06-LITE, there are a lot of people out there that think of the 924 exactly as you described it, and it especially true for the early cars. Just a short history, it was not originally going to be a Porsche product. Porsche was contracted by VW to design a new sports car; however VW decided not to build the car. As Porsche was in need of a new entry level car to replace the 914 they purchased the rights to the car from VW. As part of the contract, VW required the early cars to be built in one of their Audi facilities. It was a way for VW to avoid the issues associated with closing that Audi facility. So to Steveg , Yes. Virtually the whole car is VW/Audi as it was designed to be built with readily available, off the shelf, VW/Audi parts and was manufactured in an Audi facility. Over the years, Porsche kept updating the design and by the end of production the cars were being made by Porsche with Porsche parts in a Porsche facility. The one thing that I think is genius is the weight distribution. Audi has inline front wheel drive transmissions (I miss my Audi 5000 which had one and I would love have a Quattro). Porsche designed the 924 to have the engine in the front with a modified bellhousing for the clutch attached to a torque tube that contains a straight drive shaft which connected it to the Audi front wheel drive transmission relocated to the rear of the car. As a result of the engine in front and the transmission in back design the 924 has almost a 50/50 weight distribution front to back which provides for excellent handling. I have read others describe it saying that the car tracks like it is driving on rails. I have a lot of work to do on mine and it is not going to be easy. The car is almost 40 years old so most everything needs some attention. It is also an early model and as such it has some peculiarities and some parts are hard to acquire as they were changed over the years. There are a few parts that are no longer available short of finding a scrap yard with one of the early cars or purchasing a parts car. Mine was a barn recovery, I say recovery not find as the cars location was known. The owner had left it in a friend's barn in 1992 or 93. In 2011 the barn owner contacted the car owner to see what should be done with the car and was told to just get rid of it. The barn owner contacted her brother and he went and got the car. It sat in his garage for 5 years until he had some time to work on it and get it running again. It came with a stack of service records which show that the mileage on the odometer is the actual mileage (it goes back to 0 when it reaches 100,000) so it only has 72,000 miles. As I said it needs a lot of work, but it is not totally trashed. The pics look better than it is, but the car is solid, it is my daily driver, and I plan on driving it for many years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts