Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys after owning the smart for three years and coming to the FIAT there's definitely some differences.

The fiat handles better on the hwy.
It comes loaded with toys.
My Average MPG is 43.2
The Spare!
Love the gauges.
The Price.

What do I miss about the smart, the higher seat for sure.
Anyways I still will be around, as I never know what my next car will be also still will continue to post my deals:)

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Wow your getting 43mpg's. I've never seen city/highway 33-34 mpg's in the 500, after 3 years. I do miss the smarts 38 mpg's? Daughter's enjoying that gas milage now.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow your getting 43mpg's. I've never seen city/highway 33-34 mpg's in the 500, after 3 years. I do miss the smarts 38 mpg's? Daughter's enjoying that gas milage now.
Yeah, that what my average is showing, I don't have bumper to bumper here.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
My 500C averages about 5mpg less than the smart. All the toys I own with fuel use readouts all read high. With all the bitter cold all the mileage numbers are down.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I've tracked every tank of my Abarth. Approaching 20K miles, my lifetime average is about 32 MPG.

Many/most Fiat 500 drivers report upper-30s to mid-40s to be easily doable with the base engine. Somewhat less for automatics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Runs fine on reg. too! I never had enough space for everything I need to carry, this does it all, I am happy with my Decision.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Hey everyone, this seems like the perfect place to say this. Mind you - I loved my smart, and always will. But I drove home a Fiat Abarth two evenings ago, and I gotta say, I'm more than thrilled. Do you mind if I jump into your thread, GeekGirl? So this past Saturday we went out to get the oil changed in my wife's Mazda 6. During breakfast and back at the Mazda dealer, she was talking about wanting a car with better gas mileage, as she has too long of a commute. So we're looking on our phones, not super impressed with anything we see in our price range, and she mentions the Fiat 500. I was really surprised - she's loved her last couple of mid-sized 4 door sedans. I said the Fiat dealer is on the way home, wanna stop and peek? And she drove home a light green Fiat 500 Lounge that day, loaded with options, with their standard 101hp engine (with automatic transmission). So I'm excited with her about having a new car, and I look on their website again, and start thinking - wouldn't it be fun if I got a new car too? And then I saw, they even had the Abarth with these excellent rebates for last years model (just how I got my cabrio for the price of a regular smart), and I call the sales guy back - hey, you've got all our info already, can you run numbers again? Can "I" get a car too, do people ever do that, two cars at once?? And they come back with yeah, sure can, and because I didn't get a certain package that hers had, and because the Abarth rebate was another $1,000 off, my Abarth cost less than her 500 Lounge. So now I'm driving a black Abarth, looks just like most of the commercials, and lemme tell you, the difference between our 70hp and this ROARING 160hp is AMAZING. This thing sounds like a pi$$ed off muscle car. Just like when I got my smart, I spend nights waiting for the drive to work, and days waiting for the drive home. It will be a laugh to many, but this is the fastest car I've ever had. And I'm stoked. So I must join the Fiat club with GeekGirl. I will miss having the worlds smallest production car - I had 44,500 miles of no-problems-whatsoever, and enjoyed every minute. Right up to the time I drove home this more powerful little beast. Woohoo!

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Hey Toolman glad you joined the party. The fiat 500 is a amazing piece of microcar. I love both my smart and 500c. They certainly make a great pair. It's fun to tell those that ask about the fiat that it's my BIG car. Enjoy the ride and look for you on the 500 boards.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Using premium 93 in both cars.

smart car 40-42 mpg's. On 91, only 36-38 mpg's.

500 34-38 mpg's. Seen 41mpg's on a flat 2 lane road, at 50 mph. It a bigger heavier car. Running on 91, only 33-34 mpg's.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Using premium 93 in both cars.

smart car 40-42 mpg's. On 91, only 36-38 mpg's.

500 34-38 mpg's. Seen 41mpg's on a flat 2 lane road, at 50 mph. It a bigger heavier car. Running on 91, only 33-34 mpg's.
I'll be happy if I get 31mpg in my new Fiat Abarth, on account of I'm racing from light to light, since it is SO fun. I got 36mpg in my smart by pretty much driving the same way, just without as much noise or speed. I guess we'll see. I don't need my UltraGauge in the Fiat because it has built in computer features that tell me all the same stuff I had the gauge set for. (such as instant mpg and average mpg)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I looked at the Fiat and also the iQ before purchasing my second Smart. To me, the Fiat did not have the quality manufacturing that the Smart has. The iQ was a total piece of junk. So I purchased another Smart instead. Now I'm on my third Smart. I believe the Smart is the overall better looking and best value micro car.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I looked at the Fiat and also the iQ before purchasing my second Smart. To me, the Fiat did not have the quality manufacturing that the Smart has. The iQ was a total piece of junk. So I purchased another Smart instead. Now I'm on my third Smart. I believe the Smart is the overall better looking and best value micro car.
You will not find me arguing against my beloved smart. I had a WONDERFUL red cabrio with black tridium, and what I felt was a magnificent interior consisting of red seats, dash and door panels, with everything else black. I loved seeing it every single time I walked up to it, and will continue to view every one I see with fondness. I was seduced by power, plain and simple, 160 pi$$ed off ponies, growling like lions, lol. And my new ride CAME with almost every single exterior appearance mod I have done or wanted to do to my last two cars; lowered, front lip, side skirts, fog lights, dual exhaust, a beautiful mesh grill, the RIGHT kind of spoiler for a hatch, 17" rims with wide tires (7") - at least wide for a tiny car, red-painted brake calipers on 4 wheel disk brakes, etc. (I already mentioned turbo with twin intercoolers, right??) It's just missing black headlights, which I had to fix on my smart too, a week after I bought it, by pulling the lights apart and painting them. Oh, and I never got around to buying a sub that would fit into the smart; I now have the Beats package, which includes an 8" sub in back, and I do so love to have rich, full sound again, like I used to have in my yellow Ford Focus hatchback. I will always enjoy telling anyone and everyone that I proudly owned a smart fortwo, I just can't afford multiple cars, I can only have one daily driver.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts