Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm lookin. For a little more performance for the smart and I was thinking exhaust next. I know what's out there and Borla or the Smart Maddness SILA.
My question is do either actually add or is it just noise, not that a nice rumble is a bad thing :) I know it's not gonna give me 15 to the wheels but is it noticeable are there actual gains to be had?

·
Registered
284 Posts
The Boesch Built exhausts seem to add hp, especially when matched with the cold air intake. We have two smarts, and our friend has another, all with this exhaust/intake combination. We sound like a herd of angry bees...

Jill

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
I bought an aftermarket exhaust for my 2009 but after installing the SM cold air intake and the silicone tube that connects to the external scoop I decided the sound was so good that I didn't need the exhaust for sound. I sold the exhaust and loved the music of the engine with just the intake and tube. Try that first as it will give you a modest gain in power but a major gain in growl at a much smaller price than an exhaust.

All that being said in my City Flame I am putting in the Carlsson exhaust and lower rear valence as I love the way it looks on the car. I will hold off on the cold air intake because of warranty but will miss it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's interesting I hadn't seen the boesch exhaust till now. It looks from the pics anyways to be well built. I lived on northern Ontario and they pour the salt on the roads in the winter. Fitting was fine?
I've been debating the cold air intake on the smart. They've always been a mixed bag imho. Using both a short ram and cold air in several cars and combinations on the same car I was hard pressed to notice the difference. With the smart a short ram is out simply because of the heat but using the air duct on the side to draw air I suppose would work. I was just gonna use the silicon tube to clean up the engine bay. So you noticed the difference with cold air then? I think I'd probably wrap it in header wrap as well. The GT scope would just get plugged with snow here there's no point. I use my car for work so I can't have that.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
There are a number of silicone tubes. With the cold air intake from Boesche or Smart Madness I used the straight large diameter silicone tube that is bigger on one end that Smart Madness sells. Their picture shows it in black/orange and it directs the air from the outside vent directly into the cold air intake.
It made the car feel faster but that is just the butt dyno speaking. The sound made the investment worthwhile regardless of the potential for real world increased power and better mileage. It may in reality make your mileage less as it makes you want to keep your right foot heavy on the pedal.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Sound, minor hp increase, and cleanable filter vs. having to buy new each change were my reasons to go CAI.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Ditto Boesch Built/Genius exhaust and Cold Air intake.

I can't prove that it increases HP?

But, it sounds good, and it FEELS like it's faster?

I have at least one of everything Matt makes. It is all good quality, and fantastic customer service.

geniusparts.com

·
Registered
343 Posts
I say silicone intake tube with the stock air box since it's a true cold air setup, and get an aFe dry or K&N oiled filter. Skip the stupid stick-on scoop that does nothing.

I've debated a bit on the exhaust, but all you're realistically adding is noise. Any power gain is negligible at best unless you have an aggressive tune, maybe larger injectors, and an intake. The factory exhaust, with all 3 cylinders of fury, isn't restrictive, and doesn't have any serious bottlenecks. Keep in mind that some backpressure is good- without backpressure on a naturally aspirated engine, you'll lose torque, which our cars can't afford. If you had to go with one, my choice is the "SILA" side exit to maintain a mostly factory look, and because it's simple. If you have a friend that's decent with a mig, you could have them fab that exhaust up for half the cost, too. As far as I know, by the way, the factory exhaust is stainless. Replacing with something that can rust seems silly to me.

·
Registered
274 Posts

I have at least one of everything Matt makes. It is all good quality, and fantastic customer service.

geniusparts.com
I can tell you it helps in the mountains... I've got a basic stock setup for OTD this year and I'm concerned it's not going to do what I tell it to. I'd give for an exhaust and intake for the next month.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses everyone. I have searched but some of info out there is old and not available anymore and some didn't give the info I was looking for.
A plan is formulating and hard earned money will be spent :)
PDXsmart I hear on the hills. Driving around town I'm more then happy with what I have but if like a little more on the road trips. I have a BMS mount which as I've driven more with I've really noticed how much it helps. I find myself down shifting far less and it is a little quicker up to 60.
ColonelPan1c I couldn't agree more. I see too many kids around town with their 3" exhaust on their d16 civics hoping for 20hp. That was my concern in the first place. A one liter engine dose not need a crazy exhaust but I had hoped a little was trapped with noise regs.
I really like the looks of the Borla I know it's stupid money. Is it really that loud. I don't mind loud as long as it's not annoying and tinny. The magnaflow I had on my Sentra rattled the windows a block away but it was a glorious deep rumble with a 22" resonator and twin 3" tips on 2.5 pipe. The Nissan SR20 like to breath :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
As amosd70 says, the Carlsson can't be beat: CARLSSON SMART SPORT REAR SILENCER

A little pricier than a couple of years ago but all stainless and you get the rear valence included. :)
I chatted online with them this morning after I saw the original post and it's 760 for the exhaust and the rear valance. Each of the items listed is separate even though they have both part in the picture.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Well, that sucks! We got the whole thing for under $400 in the Keys a couple of years back. There are better deals to be had, but $760 isn't one of them. Still a great exhaust, though. :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
That was my concern in the first place. A one liter engine dose not need a crazy exhaust but I had hoped a little was trapped with noise regs.
I thought about it too, but the smoking gun is that the Brabus smart, with the factory Brabus exhaust, which is definitely throatier has the same power ratings as its non-Brabus brethren. Any power increase is likely the placebo effect.

·
08 Cabrio Caspian Blue
99 Posts

geniusparts.com
How many free parts did they give you / install for you to support them? :laugh:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ColonelPan1c
I've only found one pic of a Brabus exhaust and really it looks like they just moved the exit to the center of the box and added twin outlets. Who knows. I wish some of these sites Borla Sila who ever would post some dyno numbers.
It's always a combination of things to make more power. I'll probably end up doing both anyways.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts