Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2008 451 coupe body/ interior with 2013 engine and trans.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I want to change the stock seats out for some aftermarket ones. Ideally, I'd like to keep the rest of the air bag system working (minus the OEM seat side bags). I know that if I remove the seats without "tricking" the ecu into thinking the factory seats are still installed that it will fault and shut the whole system down.

Has anyone done this and know which connector/ pins need to get a resistor and fuse? What size resisor and fuse? Is it the same for driver's side and passengers side? Is there more than just the side airbags that need a mod to keep the airbag system working?

I searched the forums and haven't found a write up for this sort of thing. So, any tips or tricks are welcome!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to each their own 🙂

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
I really doubt, anyone ever put aftermarket seats in there smart car. Owners have recovered them, with different leathers. That conform to the safety specs. I’m curious what does these new seats look like? The OEM seats in a smart car, are a major safety feature, if rear ended. As the seats side impact airbags.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Theres got to be someone on this forum thats given it a go. Smark, they are a beautiful set of Recaro sportster CS's.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Theres got to be someone on this forum thats given it a go. Smark, they are a beautiful set of Recaro sportster CS's.
You might want to contact, smart madness. They are pretty much experts on modify anything on a smart car. Those seat look nice. Very expensive !!!!! I wonder, if there are too wide to fit in a smart car. I’ve been on this forum, since 2008. Never seen anyone install that type of seat in a smart car.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
...so...you're disabling a safety feature...side impact curtains at that...so what difference does it make if the system is shut down???...or you just knock on wood not to be hit on the side...those seat are designed to be used with 4 or 5 point restraints...plan accordingly...swapping looks for safety is not only a bad idea but it can be said it's idiotic...it could also be the difference between eating with a fork and knife or sucking lunch through a straw...

Jetfuel....next

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,659 Posts
Not that I am advocating changing seats, but many smart owners have done so. Maybe not on this forum, but look on Instagram. There are many smart groups on there, both US and Asian and Euro. I have seen Recaro, Bride, Sparco, and several lesser known brands. You could contact those owners through Instagram and ask specific installation instructions. I have found smart modders are very receptive to sharing information.
I have changed to more performance oriented seats in many cars, but that was years ago, before the days of airbags and passive restraints. Good luck in your adventures.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a slightly different question and am hoping someone might be able to help me, I don't want to change the seats, but I'd like to remove the passenger's seat entirely. I've heard that on some cars you can insert a resistor to not trigger airbag warnings, has anyone done such with a Smart (451)? I'd like to remove the seat and fabricate a flat platform so that I can take the dog to the vet or out on trips without having to swap out another car. I rarely have a passenger who isn't a canine (and can reverse it should I ever need to).

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
I have a slightly different question and am hoping someone might be able to help me, I don't want to change the seats, but I'd like to remove the passenger's seat entirely. I've heard that on some cars you can insert a resistor to not trigger airbag warnings, has anyone done such with a Smart (451)? I'd like to remove the seat and fabricate a flat platform so that I can take the dog to the vet or out on trips without having to swap out another car. I rarely have a passenger who isn't a canine (and can reverse it should I ever need to).
Our 70 pound Lab loves sitting in the smart car passenger seat. She rest her head, on the dash Parcel shell when we drive. What size dog, do you have, that the seat would need to removed? I’ve never heard of such a thing, installing a resistor, to disconnect a safety feature. We use that seat belt, on the seat. Hooked to a dog harness, so she doesn’t fly though the windshield. If there was a accident.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Our 70 pound Lab loves sitting in the smart car passenger seat. She rest her head, on the dash Parcel shell when we drive. What size dog, do you have, that the seat would need to removed? I’ve never heard of such a thing, installing a resistor, to disconnect a safety feature. We use that seat belt, on the seat. Hooked to a dog harness, so she doesn’t fly though the windshield. If there was a accident.
A Dane and a Saint Bernard; they don't quite fit like a lab might and both are well in excess of 70lbs.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
...the consensus around the racing web sites is a 2.2 to 4 ohms and 5 watts plug in for most applications..
jetfuel....insert disclaimer here __

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not that I am advocating changing seats, but many smart owners have done so. Maybe not on this forum, but look on Instagram. There are many smart groups on there, both US and Asian and Euro. I have seen Recaro, Bride, Sparco, and several lesser known brands. You could contact those owners through Instagram and ask specific installation instructions. I have found smart modders are very receptive to sharing information.
I have changed to more performance oriented seats in many cars, but that was years ago, before the days of airbags and passive restraints. Good luck in your adventures.
Thanks for the kind words and advice. Sad that this forum doesn't have the info yet.
I assume the fix for swapping seats is the same as removing the seats entirely. So, making a quick write up would help people like @gtdump as well.
I'll report back if I figure it out. 😝

·
Registered
1 Posts
this guy on the smart FB group did it with a fancy buick seat although did not post much details

I would imagine this is really a custom fab kind of deal - lots of manual rewiring and tracing connections plus maybe fabricating mounts?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can say that a 2.7ohm Resistor works to trick the system on the steering wheel airbag. I did that and have the video up on my channel on youtube.
I imagine the same would apply to the seats, you may need a few since each airbag has 2 explosive devices.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you have a seat that has a side air bag it should work with the factory system.
I’ve removed the air bag system on one vehicle and it is a 91 Miata and it’s only because the module that works it was dead and Mazda no longer makes it(nor does Ford since they was in with Mazda when the Miata was made)
Replaced the stock wheel with a nice aftermarket one.
Otherwise I would try to find seats that work with the system or leave it alone all together.
Needless to say I would prefer the air bags to work in the smart since it’s smaller then the Miata.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can say that a 2.7ohm Resistor works to trick the system on the steering wheel airbag. I did that and have the video up on my channel on youtube.
I imagine the same would apply to the seats, you may need a few since each airbag has 2 explosive devices.
What is your Youtube channel sir? I'll happily subscribe. I have an airbag warning light coming on and I understand while it's on the whole airbag system gets disabled. Since I don't know which airbag out of 6 is the problem, I may have to try using a 2.7ohm resistor to help narrow down the problem. I know airbags are not cheap. I am almost certain a previous owner must have had an accident due to the back hatch having been replaced with one from an electric model. I don't want the remaining airbags I may have to not function until I can get everything fixed. I need to get that warning light off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts