Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
What is your Youtube channel sir? I'll happily subscribe. I have an airbag warning light coming on and I understand while it's on the whole airbag system gets disabled. Since I don't know which airbag out of 6 is the problem, I may have to try using a 2.7ohm resistor to help narrow down the problem. I know airbags are not cheap. I am almost certain a previous owner must have had an accident due to the back hatch having been replaced with one from an electric model. I don't want the remaining airbags I may have to not function until I can get everything fixed. I need to get that warning light off.
I did a custom steering wheel install and stereo plus many other videos
Youtube.com/handydan

this guy on the smart FB group did it with a fancy buick seat although did not post much details

I would imagine this is really a custom fab kind of deal - lots of manual rewiring and tracing connections plus maybe fabricating mounts?
Woah, that's probably the coolest seat that I've ever seen in a smart.

Honestly, I don't even think it's that hard. Just make sure you get the seat rails from the Buick that you nab the seats from. The hard part would be the wiring, but that depends on how much of a monster of a wiring harness is on that seat. Even then, you're just finding the power wires and hooking them up accordingly.

Reactions: Sauce
Woah, that's probably the coolest seat that I've ever seen in a smart.

Honestly, I don't even think it's that hard. Just make sure you get the seat rails from the Buick that you nab the seats from. The hard part would be the wiring, but that depends on how much of a monster of a wiring harness is on that seat. Even then, you're just finding the power wires and hooking them up accordingly.
Wow, really cool, but my Smartcar is electric so my range would probably be cut in half if I was showing someone the seats!🤣🤣

John get you a code scanner that can pull those codes.
The bad air bag unit likely has set a code is the module.
My nephew came over today with his 2500 dollar Star diagnostic tool. (I asked because I wanted to get one.. LOL way out of my price range) He couldn't find any airbag codes in the system. As he has a used car dealers license, he pulled up history info I could not get without spending say 40 bucks on a carfax, for free. Our little 2008 car has had at least 6 previous owners from New York to Georgia to Florida then to Louisiana. It doesn't have any accidents on report or any indication the airbags have been deployed. It's never had a salvage title. Now since he didn't find a code he was able to reset all my codes in case any warnings were popping up by a fluke. We didn't drive the car today, we had to deal with another car all day. Tomorrow I'll check and see if the airbag warning light is still coming on.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
What is your Youtube channel sir? I'll happily subscribe. I have an airbag warning light coming on and I understand while it's on the whole airbag system gets disabled. Since I don't know which airbag out of 6 is the problem, I may have to try using a 2.7ohm resistor to help narrow down the problem. I know airbags are not cheap. I am almost certain a previous owner must have had an accident due to the back hatch having been replaced with one from an electric model. I don't want the remaining airbags I may have to not function until I can get everything fixed. I need to get that warning light off.
That's Handy Dan!

Cool to see you're active on the forums! @Smart car. (I'm seriously considering those rear panhard bars you posted about. But that's a different story haha.)

Ive been seeing plenty of 2.0 and 2.2ohm suggestions. This is the first Ive been suggested 2.7 ohm. I wonder if there is much of a difference or how much tolerance the system has.

That's Handy Dan!

Cool to see you're active on the forums! @Smart car. (I'm seriously considering those rear panhard bars you posted about. But that's a different story haha.)

Ive been seeing plenty of 2.0 and 2.2ohm suggestions. This is the first Ive been suggested 2.7 ohm. I wonder if there is much of a difference or how much tolerance the system has.
From what I've seen and read lower is probably better, the system is looking for a low connection so if it goes loose it sees it soon. I see 3.3 ohm on some cars, but the 2.7 seems to be fine on my steering wheel change.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Eureka!

I found a post from clubsmartcar.com that describes this exact scenario but in a 450 in 2013.
A feller by the name of "bilgladstone" describes all the steps he took.
(What Happens If I Remove The Passenger Seat?)

A couple forum members and him settled on a 2.2ohm resistor with a 1A blade fuse in series. (The fuse was used was in an attempt to allow the seat airbag to trigger and not "slow down" the rest of the system.)

This image sums up his solution. You can see the resistor and fuse (in black heat shrink tubing) in place of the seat airbag connection.

I have yet to check my 451 to see if this is the same connector....but its raining right now. So I'll check it out tomorrow.😁

Ive had a couple racing seats in mine, never looked into getting that light off. I’ve recently put the OEM seats back in though, and it’s worth noting that the light hasn’t come off with using a nice scan tool or keeping the battery disconnected for an extended period of time. I’ll most likely inquire at the dealership tomorrow morning. If you’re looking for tips on a bracket though I can send you some pics of the one I made. It’s not able to be purchased anywhere, you’ve gotta make your own. You won’t be able to run an OEM belt either unless you get a new buckle or remove the one from your old seat.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.