Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have in plan to buy 16.5cm Focal 165 A1 SG component speakers for my 451. Now I'm interesting how it will sound on oem Radio 9, will it be good enough?

I also don't know will this Focals fit perfectly because I don't know what is the maximal depth of the speakers that I could buy?

I saw that many of you put on Infinity speakers, can you tell me what makes of 6.5'' speakers fit perfectly in to 451?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I know that Polk db651's fit perfectly and sound much better than stock with the factory Radio 10. Chumly

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... yes, but this is coaxial speakers, is there a component speakers from Polk... I would like to separate tweeters from speakers...

·
Registered
536 Posts
People use the infinity speakers because they are shallow, and work well mounted to the inside of the door panel, the way the stock speakers are.

The stock grilles are really bad, though. I wouldn't ever recommend leaving them in place. If you remove them, you can fit most aftermarket 6.5" speakers by mounting them to the surface of the door panel with their own grilles.

The stock grilles are mounted with melted plastic pegs. You just drill the melted head off the peg to remove them, and if you ever want to put them back on, you will have to use hot glue, or crank short screws into the pegs. You may need to cut off the mounting holes for the stock grill to clear the basket of your new speaker. I don't have a picture and it's hard to explain, but the stock grille mounts to holes through tabs that protrude into the speaker hole.

Your focals would fit just fine surface mounted, and will sound clean and about the same volume as your stock speakers, with a better front stage if you mount those tweeters up high.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.. i didn't know that... so if I want to leave the stock grilles I can't mount any 6.5'' speakers...
... maybe I consider about some Infinity component speakers...

... I read somewhere that if you want the aftermarket speakers in original place and with original grilles they shouldn't be deeper than 60mm because the window glass is bumping into them??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... ok...
... you mean these ones:

db651s - Car | Polk Audio

... and what about this component ones db6501, they are the same thickness as the 651s but not sure are the holes in the right position:

db6501 - Car | Polk Audio

... is it worth the money to invest in this component speakers with separate tweeters instead of coaxial ones... assuming that I will leave oem radio 9...

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Speakers 6022i I N F I N I T Y® R E F E R E N C E S P E A K E R S
~I have them Surface Mounted~
~The Silver Matches the Silver in the car Perfectly~
~The silver Grill is a slight press fit into the Black Bezel, and comes out the same way, so no mounting Screws are visible~
~All that extra mounting hardware will not be needed in the Smart Install~
~What do I think of 6022i~Taking Head Unit 9 to the LIMIT~
I have stock Head Unit 9, so its not going to break any sound barriers...YUP...BUT... With the 6022i set installed in place of the OEM's there is more total volume because these are 2ohm speaker tuned to 4ohm(3.5ohm) by Infinity to extract maximum out of the Head Unit without over working the OEM Amp... These Speakers are not "Bass Thumpers" do to their size, Crispy Cone, and Tweets...BUT... They will Dig Deep and not Break when you crank them up... Head Unit 9 can't hurt these at full crank...YUP They sound G00D, and have Great Definition... Crank them up, and let your leg touch the door panel, and it will tickle you, or hold your Vibrating hand on the outside door skin, and you find out things are Really Booming inside that door...!!! Naturally a Sub Unit, and or a Pair of rear speakers would be frosting on the cake... BUT... With the small sound environment of the Smart I find that the Two New Door Kickers do a G00D job knocking my ears off...<:))
I'm totally impressed with speakers, and the "Extroverted Grills" that match the Extroverted interior styling of the Smart Car Perfectly...!!! These speakers were a Perfect Addition to the Extra Large Personality of the Smart Car...
I find the Price + Performance to be a nice Value...

Reference speakers feature low impedance so they extract maximum power from any amplifier or car stereo. Infinity makes their Plus One+ woofers 30% larger than other speakers in the same size category. As a result, you'll enjoy deeper bass and higher efficiency for an impressive performance.
The textile dome tweeters feature oversized voice coils that match the tweeters' diameter, a design that provides more surface area for heat dissipation and allows higher power handling. You can adjust the sound to your liking with the tweeter level control. In addition, you can swivel the tweeters up to 350 degrees, aiming them directly at you for a more focused soundstage. You'll hear smoother, more accurate response, with more sparkle and detail in your music.

Infinity makes sure that your installation stays stress-free by including Intermount III, a proprietary mounting system that allows you to install these 6-1/2" speakers in a variety of 6" to 6-3/4" factory locations. You'll also find adapters that fit many domestic and imported cars. These Infinity speakers use a low impedance design to pull more power safely from your car stereo or amplifier. This design is compatible with virtually all factory and aftermarket stereos.
  • Infinity 6022i 6-1/2" (and 6-3/4" locations) Reference Series 2-way Car Speakers
  • Power Handling:
    • Peak: 360 watts per pair / 180 watts each
    • RMS: 120 watts per pair / 60 watts each
  • Injection molded polypropylene woofer
  • Plus One woofer cones - This patent pending technology deliver a cone with more surface area than competing models of the same size. The result is increased bass output and higher efficiency
  • 1-3/4" Edge-driven textile dome tweeters
  • Unipivot allows the tweeter to be pointed at the listener even when the speaker is mounted off axis. This optimizes the stereo image and ensures a more uniform response
  • Tweeter level adjustment (0 dB, 3 dB)
  • 4 ohms impedance
  • Frequency response: 53-21,000 Hz
  • Sensitivity: 93.4 dB
Infinity Reference 6022i 2-Way 6.5"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infinity-6022i-6-1-2-6-3-4-Reference-Series-2-Way-Car-Speakers-360w-per-pair-/271296916596?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item3f2a8e6c74

BID
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infinity-Reference-6022i-2-Way-6-5-Car-Speaker-new-audio-mobile-loud-speakers-/111211401775?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item19e4b7522f

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Just a comment, I installed a pair of Infinity speaker in my smart a few years ago and I was delighted with the sound.
Well the surrounding cone part deteriorated on both now and this shouldn't have
happened.
Now I will need to replace them and I will probably use the refurbished POLK speakers.
I just dread the outer panel replacement part of the job.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Just a comment, I installed a pair of Infinity speaker in my smart a few years ago and I was delighted with the sound.
Well the surrounding cone part deteriorated on both now and this shouldn't have
happened.
Now I will need to replace them and I will probably use the refurbished POLK speakers.
I just dread the outer panel replacement part of the job.
All foam speakers edges go to hell eventually... I never throw away a good speaker for that minor problem... You can get repair kits for all size, and brand speakers.

They Make A Kit For That
Infinity Speaker Foam Edge Repair Replacement Kit, 6-1/2", RS, IMG, Reference, FSK-6.5

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Yes, thanks...this may be the most economical solution. I just replaced the foam surround of two Boston Acoustic woofers from my rear channel wall speakers.
They now carry 6.5" rubber edges so that sounds feasible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts