Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2013 smart pure last year in February and now I'm sick of it and want a new car.. but I've already come to terms with me being stuck paying this $250 a month for the next 4 years I want to put some money into it to make it something I like.

I want to get an aftermarket steering wheel for my 84 hp two seater turtle.. you know, like one of those steering wheels you usually put in 800 hp drift cars and ****.

Am I able to use any sort of hub adapter/quick release, or do I have to have a certain one to fit? I installed one on an old miata I had and it was awesome, and I just want to know if I can use the same adapter/wheel or do I have to buy one especially for the 451? I can't find a photo/post/thread anywhere on the internet with an aftermarket steering wheel on the car.. so I'm not even sure if its possible or not.

Please help.
Yeah, I know.. once the wheel is installed, all the air bags are disconnected and I put my life at risk driving without airbags.. but its okay, bills don't exist in hell.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I doubt you'll find one. As you already stated, changing it removes the airbag, which is technically illegal. I doubt there is any steering wheel company in the world that will slide down that slippery slope... There is a Brabus steering wheel for these cars that has better & recontoured padding on it, but you will pay a mint for it, nd have to order it out of Europe because it wasn't available on US spec cars.

I guess maybe you should have taken a longer test drive before purchasing, huh???

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,768 Posts
Yeah, I know.. once the wheel is installed, all the air bags are disconnected and I put my life at risk driving without airbags.. but its okay, bills don't exist in hell.

Thanks.
Only one word comes to mind, BRILLIANT!

By the way, your drifting "turtle" has 70ish HP...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I guess maybe you should have taken a longer test drive before purchasing, huh???
You know.... I didn't want to say it, but that was my first thought when reading this.

Dude.... If anything, i'd say upgrade the sound system, maybe a nice shiny new head unit (depending which one your Smart has).... hell, buy some new wheels for it to spice it up a little. But a steering wheel? Why? For a "Quick release"? I hate to be the one to say it, but odd choice of car to choose to rice (Yes... rice. not a typo).

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you find some sort of hub spacer while you're at it, I'd love for the wheel to be a couple inches closer to me... Installed one on my better halfs Miata along with a Nardi, and it's brilliant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts