Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a chance to install an aftermarket radio in a Smart Pure ?
They come pre-wired but most likely only for the Smart radio. Share your secrets and tricks, please

·
Registered
152 Posts
Check e-bay and search on: smart fortwo.

Some one is selling replacement face plates that fit the smart dash but have a rectanguler (sp?) opening to fit a standard aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
721 Posts
yeah, that's a DoubleDin facia or faceplate.
I think the question was more on wiring the power and speakers...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was more about the wiring.
I have determined that you need to remove the lower button console by prying it upwards on each end. It can hang loose. Then you need to remove a screw in the center of the opening that holds the top cover in place. Once this screw is out you can gently pry the top dash cover off its plastic snaps. This allows you to remove the cover that is in place of the radio. Inside are at least two harness and the antenna, along with the harness that goes to the jack in the glove box [no pun intended]. I am curious how you wire in an aftermarket unit. I see a company in England is selling harness adapters, but I am not sure how that works.
54 miles and the gas gauge just dropped one click

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is there anyone who has seen the harness connector behind the radio? Does it look like this?:

If so, that's what they use in many Mercedes. It's a Metra harness model 70-1784. They also have one with RCA's, it's model 70-1786.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have looked at the harness and I do not believe it looks like the one pictured.
Can't be sure cause I have eaten since then.
I also got some info from SmartRUS about face plates and they say that all the wires needed should come with any stereo you buy an should not be a problem to hook up.
The manual says to have the dealer install any after maarket radio to avoid damage to the "system".
Kind of defeats the purpose of ordering the radio delete option.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Radio In

So I bit the bullit and bought a stereo at Best Buy. I cut a single DIN sized hole in the blank cover that comes with the Pure and mounted the DIN bracket that comes with the stereo. I wanted to retain the handy little pocket below the radio. You can buy these things already made up.
The first alert is that the blank panel is curved and the DIN bracket is not. I decided it was not a big deal. The second alert is that you need to obtain an antenna converter to be able to hook up your aftermarket radio to the Euro style antenna on the car. Best Buy had this but I had to ask about it. The last thing is the wire hook up. The two plugs from the car have speakers on one and power on the other. I found the green and orange wires on the speaker plug [8 wire plug] were for the speakers in the doors.
On the other plug I found 12v constant, 12 volt @key on, and ground. That did it. It ain't no piano but I got tunes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you look into simply upgrading the speakers in the doors? Do you know how to remove those door speakers? Do you have to take the entire door panel off and then remove the speakers, or can you pop the speaker grills off and then remove the speakers?

·
Banned
661 Posts
Did you look into simply upgrading the speakers in the doors? Do you know how to remove those door speakers? Do you have to take the entire door panel off and then remove the speakers, or can you pop the speaker grills off and then remove the speakers?
car stereos are about wattage. you can install the best speaker in the world but if you don't increase the power to it, it will still sound like crap.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
car stereos are about wattage.
Rubbish, power is nothing without sound quality.
You shouldn't believe wattage ratings on stereos anyway.

You don't need to increase the power to the speaker, you just need a speaker that uses the power better.
A lower speaker impedance of 2 ohm will be louder than a 4 ohm speaker as it has less resistance. Also a higher sensitivity (usually measured in dB at 1 meter at X volts) will make it louder.

To remove the door speakers you have to remove the outer door panel, cut through the weather shield and unscrew the speakers from the back.

·
Registered
671 Posts
You got that right Evilution. I had several friends that got high powered stereos in their vehicle and invited me to audition them (I use to install them in the past, but no longer. Got older...anyway). They would always compliment me on how good mine sounded and wanted to match or better mine (I only used a 50 watt "Linear" amp). Theirs would always be horribly bassy and muddy in sound and they could not figure out why it would not sound good with so much power they would have. They would then ask me to help them out on it. I always had an EQ in my setup to allow me to tailor sound to the shape & accoustics of the vehicle. They were always amazed at how mine could sound just as good as their much more expensive setups. It has so much more to do with efficiency, placement, and tonal adjustment as it does with power.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
The other thing to remember is that the amp circuits inside stereos aren't very good so the louder they claim to be, the worse the quality tends to be, they don't tend to be too concerned about clipping and total harmonic distortion.
It's better to use a low powered stereo and use a dedicated amp.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had best buy install an Alpine stereo. I cannot recieve any AM radio on it. FM works and all of the other features, the AM signal is very weak and noisy.
What could be wrong with the radio?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
You got that right Evilution. I had several friends that got high powered stereos in their vehicle and invited me to audition them (I use to install them in the past, but no longer. Got older...anyway). They would always compliment me on how good mine sounded and wanted to match or better mine (I only used a 50 watt "Linear" amp). Theirs would always be horribly bassy and muddy in sound and they could not figure out why it would not sound good with so much power they would have. They would then ask me to help them out on it. I always had an EQ in my setup to allow me to tailor sound to the shape & accoustics of the vehicle. They were always amazed at how mine could sound just as good as their much more expensive setups. It has so much more to do with efficiency, placement, and tonal adjustment as it does with power.
Age and guile trump youth and ignorance
karl:D

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
So I bit the bullit and bought a stereo at Best Buy. I cut a single DIN sized hole in the blank cover that comes with the Pure and mounted the DIN bracket that comes with the stereo. I wanted to retain the handy little pocket below the radio. You can buy these things already made up.
The first alert is that the blank panel is curved and the DIN bracket is not. I decided it was not a big deal. The second alert is that you need to obtain an antenna converter to be able to hook up your aftermarket radio to the Euro style antenna on the car. Best Buy had this but I had to ask about it. The last thing is the wire hook up. The two plugs from the car have speakers on one and power on the other. I found the green and orange wires on the speaker plug [8 wire plug] were for the speakers in the doors.
On the other plug I found 12v constant, 12 volt @key on, and ground. That did it. It ain't no piano but I got tunes.
Did you save any money or get somthing that sounds better or both
Thanks karl

·
Banned
845 Posts
stock radio

the stock radio is just that, a stock radio. i ordered a single DIN facia from e-bay UK, it's been a month and hasn't arrived. :mad: when it does arrive i'm getting an HD AM/FM/CD radio.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
There isn't much wrong with the stock radios in cars these days apart from lack of MP3 playback from CD etc. For what it does, it does well.

On the 1st of March, a friend and myself started a smart part company.
Website is still being designed and stock being ordered but one thing we will sell is stereo surrounds.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had best buy install an Alpine stereo. I cannot recieve any AM radio on it. FM works and all of the other features, the AM signal is very weak and noisy.
What could be wrong with the radio?

My AM does not work either. I think it is the antenna. The Smart antenna requires an adapter to aftermarket radios and I think AM is lost in the translation.
I have been trying to figure out how to replace the Smart antenna with an aftermarket one but its not an easy task.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts